rare black app???

Flipp

Reaction score
i was looking thru the app market via the appbrain app on my droid x and found one called rare black, seems this app claims to save battery life using its mostly black picture background for your phone, now im wondering is this a valid statement? would using a background with mostly dark colors reduce battery drain due to it not having to light up brigher colors on the phone? thought i would ask. TIA
-Flipp

jpeeps05

Reaction score
i have the app and using it..do not see any difference in battery life.nice pics though

OP
Flipp

Flipp

Reaction score
i have the app and using it..do not see any difference in battery life.nice pics though

yea thats what i was thinking but still isnt actually clear if the whole black pics vs bright colored pics as background actually save batt life. but the pics did look interesting. thanks for you input bro.
-FLipp

Ellectronico

Reaction score
i just took a picture with my finger over the camera and then set that picture as my background. its totally black. no ap needed. Im gunna check it out though!

OP
Flipp

Flipp

Reaction score
i just took a picture with my finger over the camera and then set that picture as my background. its totally black. no ap needed. Im gunna check it out though!

ah hahaha NICE!

harrellj

Reaction score
For the phones with AMOLED screes, it could be a battery saver since those just turn off pixels for black rather than display colors.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

ViciousCircle

Android Addict
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I read something about this at one point, and I think it had to do with the type of screen you have. If it is one that turns off pixels to make black, then in theory, it could save you power (like AMOLED mentioned above). However most other types of screens that use a backlight shining through pixels that are colored to create the display, well I believe those actually have to use energy to block the backlight to make black, so on those, you wouldn't actually save any power. I believe there is even an argument out there that says black actually uses more power than other colors.

Anyway, I could be mis-remembering some of the facts, but I believe that is the gist of it.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
For the phones with AMOLED screes, it could be a battery saver since those just turn off pixels for black rather than display colors.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

This. It may save a negligible amount of power on an AMOLED screen, however, on a conventional TFT the backlight has to be on anyways, so there won't be any difference in power use.