Battery "doesn't" charge

Mishael

Reaction score
Quick back story: the charging port on my Droid doesn't work well. I have to keep it in a certain position to charge but when I get it where it needs to be, all is well. when its not in the right place, the white charging light flashes 2 or 3 times a second and it registers that it is charging/not charging just as much. this is annoying

Now to my problem: if my battery goes to 20% or below, it gets stuck at 20%. my phone sat a whole night at 20% and it took me 3 restarts to get the battery to read at 60% the next morning, but once that happened it charged up just fine. What makes this problem strange is the fact that my battery reaches "full" usually pretty quick (quick charge to a certain point and a top off using a trickle charge, I know, I know.) and the fact that I noticed that, while my phone was charging and I was texting every few minutes with it, the percentage was dropping about 10% every 5 minutes. Which, even for my phone, a very quick drain ESPECIALLY with it "charging." I've worked with all sorts of electronics and I've dealt with lots of different types of batteries but I've never seen or even heard of anything that would cause this. I can't even think of a cause for this let alone a fix

HELP.

Droid 1, sapphire 2.0.2 (something close to that), my battery usually lasts about 9 hours from 100%-5%

jmark

Reaction score
I have the same issue with my charge port. when it goes nuts and starts/stops charging really fast, its crapping all over your battery stats and confuses the actual charge the battery has. Clear your battery stats to fix this. I had to learn to not touch my phone and avoid jiggling the cord until it was fully charged, otherwise i was clearing my stats all the time

OP
M

Mishael

Reaction score
hmm. i dont see why i wasnt emailed about new posts...how do i clear my charge stats? i found an easy way to use my phone without touching it. since my phone is rooted, i use webkey to control my phone remotely. works like a charm

xaelith

Reaction score
Another thing to try as well is to run the phone till the battery dies completely, then charge it. It's said that the internal workings of li-ion batteries start to lose track of how much charge the battery actually has after so many charges, and Android relies on those inner workings to tell it how the battery is doing. And so by completely depleting the battery you give it a reference point, thereby re-calibrating the battery.

jmark

Reaction score
search batterystats.bin , tons of info about it. some roms include an option for it in the menu, otherwise you need to charge to 100% and delete the batterystats, then reboot

OP
M

Mishael

Reaction score
i started reading about the batterystats.bin and while it all sounds...sound, a problem i see is that i notice that the phone needs to charge while shut off. my phone wont do that. it always turns on if i shut it down while plugged in or shut it down then plug in the cable. help?

jmark

Reaction score
i started reading about the batterystats.bin and while it all sounds...sound, a problem i see is that i notice that the phone needs to charge while shut off. my phone wont do that. it always turns on if i shut it down while plugged in or shut it down then plug in the cable. help?

Thats normal. The Droid is not designed to charge while powered off. If its plugged in, its on.