Battery and kernel?

esheesle

Reaction score
Running CM 6.1.2 with chevy lv .8 kernel. Noticed that i can drop 10% over 15 minutes with just some surfing though. Tried setcpu and without with no noticable difference. With my max set to 600mhz im not sure why life is so low. Tried ulv kernels but the camera stops working with them. Suggestions on a kernel for battery life for a droid 1?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

born2golf

Reaction score
I don't know if the ROM changes this, but the OS normally only recognize battery levels in increments of 10%. That said, what the OS is showing as a 10% drop may actually only be a 5% drop, but must be represented in some fashion by the OS resulting in the perceived 10% loss.

Perhaps try the battery left app which shows the actual battery consumption in 1% increments. You may not be losing as much as you think.

OP
E

esheesle

Reaction score
In the case I'm thinking of i dropped 40% in an hour though so the 10% in 15 was just a broken down increment. looks like it is actually losing that much. trying the default kernel with cyanogen to see if that is any better now.

OP
E

esheesle

Reaction score
Is there any reason a LV kernel should lose power more quickly, especially if not overclocked? Just doesn't make sense to me.

So far the stock Cyanogenmod 6.1.2 kernel seems to be holding better life than the LV. Thoughts?

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Is there any reason a LV kernel should lose power more quickly, especially if not overclocked? Just doesn't make sense to me.

So far the stock Cyanogenmod 6.1.2 kernel seems to be holding better life than the LV. Thoughts?

This isn't anything rare, actually quite a few people have this problem. No two processors are made the same. The chip was made to run at 600MHz (550MHz actually) at standard voltages, anything else in either faster speeds or lower voltages is not guaranteed. This means that all kernels run a little different for each phone. In theory the lower the voltage the less battery it consumes and the less heat it creates. In practice though, that can be a completely different story. If your phone can't handle the speeds or voltages you are throwing at it, it has to work harder because of errors. Thus draining more battery and probably producing more heat while also creating slowdowns.

So in order to maximize your battery life as a rooter and ROM user, you need to test as many kernels as you have time to try. Same goes for ROMs, but ROMs can be quite a bit more subjective.