Ban for wifi & radiocomm hack???

jjbinks82

Reaction score
Anyone banned yet for using the wifi tether hack, masking with Radiocomm or both???

Sent from my ROOTED GALAXY TAB 10.1 using DroidForums

jlhaehl

Reaction score
Nope

I am on my D2G gingerbread rooted radiocomm hacked and 3g speed hacked, i have used 4.6 gig of data without a hitch, *note* im on a grandfathered account with unlimited data hope this helps

OP
jjbinks82

jjbinks82

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for your reply! I just wanted to see if anyone out in the community has fallen victim to Verizon's policing efforts against tethering.

They've stopped the wifi tether app from working, but ironically gave an alternative through their very own mobile hotspot (LoL).

Sent from my ROOTED DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

GohanBurner

Reaction score
I've used 38gb this month. I stream a LOT of stuff. Grandfathered account, no warnings or anything.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Last edited:
Reaction score
While I may be in the camp that wireless tethering should be free and be a part of our data package.....it's the people who use 38 GB of data a month who are giving Verizon a reason to be Nazis about this. Thanks for ruining it for the rest of us who use it marginally.

Yonnor

I r Teh Greetest
Reaction score
While I may be in the camp that wireless tethering should be free and be a part of our data package.....it's the people who use 38 GB of data a month who are giving Verizon a reason to be Nazis about this. Thanks for ruining it for the rest of us who use it marginally.

Streaming =/= tethering. Try using netflix or the nfl app and stream and you'll see how easy it is to rack up data.

Beamed down from my Droid 3

GohanBurner

Reaction score
Streaming =/= tethering. Try using netflix or the nfl app and stream and you'll see how easy it is to rack up data.

Beamed down from my Droid 3

X2, they advertise 4G for downloading songs, videos, and streaming faster than ever. Which is exactly what I use it for. Why would they punish people for using what they advertised to begin with?

GohanBurner

Reaction score
Just imagine how much data is transferred from just watching YouTube videos, lol. Not to mention uploading them.

bigkhan

Reaction score
If your someone who watches netflix or hulu regulary, you have no problem racking up 30+ GB in a month. I dont stream that much often, but I did watch a couple shows while on a bus trip a couple weeks ago. I used more than 2 GB on the ride. So I can see some people using 2-3 GB per day. at 4G speeeds there will be people using 100 GB per month. Anyway I used about 5 GB in the first week and a half (end of billing cycle) with a combination of phone and tether, havent heard anything yet. All these people worried, I'm sure Verizon will do the same thing AT&T did when they started cracking down on people tethering with there iPhone. they first sent you an email telling you to stop tethering or subscribe to a tethering plan. If you continued to tether without a plan they enrolled you in a plan and you found out when your bill came in. So I'm not very worried, i'm thinking worst case is after getting it for free for awhile I'll have to start paying for it. Verizon isnt going to be to hard on the customer, they need us more than we need them.

OP
jjbinks82

jjbinks82

Reaction score
X2, they advertise 4G for downloading songs, videos, and streaming faster than ever. Which is exactly what I use it for. Why would they punish people for using what they advertised to begin with?

I agree with Gohan 100%.

See, basically it boils down to money. Personally I think it's retarded for Verizon to charge $30 extra for you to use a feature that's already built into your phone.

I'd honestly pay for if it was reasonably priced. Let's see, I pay $100 for minutes, $25 for unlimited texts and $30 for data. $30 on top of all that to use something I can just hack and unlock myself???

NEGATIVE GHOST RIDER!!

Sent from ROOTED DROID BIONIC using DroidForums App!

M

Mullensbb

Radiocom hack does not mask on droid by bionic! Go to the xda forum discussion and read the entire thing, especially from page 4.

PJ_ED

Reaction score

In addition to all that, Verizon/Moto pre-installs Zumocast which can be another data hog. If they don't want you to use data they shouldn't install apps like this for you and then advertise these apps as a key feature of the phone. I'm not going to worry about my data use. I can easily use a lot of data WITHOUT tethering just by using Netflix, Pandora and Motorola's bloatware Zumocast.
The only reason I want to tether is so I can watch movies on a bigger screen. Oh, wait! I can do that already with the HDMI cable. I am sure Wifi tethering for simply surfing the internet uses no where near the data that these other apps use.

OP
jjbinks82

jjbinks82

Reaction score
Radiocom hack does not mask on droid by bionic! Go to the xda forum discussion and read the entire thing, especially from page 4

What do you mean by that??? I read the entire post when it was originally posted by the group that discovered that hack (can't remember the guy's name). He said it basically changes the outgoing data's code that's transmitted to VZ to look like it's all phone data versus data that's not (hence data used by tethering).

From what I remember the post said something to the effect of the code that's sent to to VZ has the tag "@vzn.(whatever)" attached to it when its phone data (ie. surfing the net from the phone) being transmitted and the tag "@dun.vzn.(whatever)" when it's data that's being used by a connected device.

Correct me if I'm wrong???

Sent from my ROOTED GALAXY TAB 10.1 using DroidForums

opnsrcaddict

Reaction score
From what I've read, that's how it worked for the Droid 3 and other 3g phones. This phone seems to authenticate much differently, rendering this masking method useless. Look for cellzealot's posts over at XDA, he seems to understand it best. I believe that at this point Verizon will be able to easily distinguish phone data vs tethered data until this authentication is cracked. A much safer option would be to use a usb tethering option such as PdaNet.

M

Mullensbb

If you go and read the entire discussion on xda you will see that the people who discovered the heck, 1 of them is posting in that discussion, see that he clearly states that it does not work on the bionic it only works on 3g devices. It has to do with the sim card and how you can't hack or overriding information stored on that. And that the heck cannot cover your tracks. The sim card is unchangeable and always will read that you do not have tethering plan and verizon can easily see which way you're using your data,through the phone or through an outside device