bad freezing issues with v.7. help please

AmsuJackal

Reaction score
hey guys. ive been running liberty for a while and i really havent had any issues at all. I upgraded to .7 a little while ago, but after the first day or so i kept getting really bad lockups and i have to pull the battery out everytime. I have reflashed after wiping data/cache about 3 times and i keep getting the same issues.

I have noticed however, that if immediately after reboot and my widgets load, i keep pressing my task killer widget to kill non essential apps, the phone doesnt lock up on boot, but it will randomly in the next 10-20 minutes. A fresh install isnt so bad, i dont have to do it at boot but it still happens randomly.

I just dont know where to start troubleshooting on this one past reflashing, can someone help me out?

DyMiC

Reaction score
Try starting by getting rid of the Task Killer. Android isn't like Windows where you have to actually stop the process. It opens processes as you need them, and closes them as it needs memory. A Task Killer throws this off by just cutting off the task, and Android is all like OMGWTF?! That's why you get instability.

Also, if you have a lot of bloatware, try Titanium Backup. You can "freeze" the apps that you think are taking up memory so they don't run... and, if your phone seems to keep stable, you can try to remove the apps. Just be careful and be sure not to remove any important system apps... because it's right back to SBFing you go, and that sucks.

But yeah. Ditch the task killer, reboot, and see what happens. :)

Also, if you're using Launcher Pro (I LOVE IT), I've found that you can get MINIMUM, and I mean MINIMUM, redraws by going Menu>Preferences>Advanced Settings>Memory Usage Settings and click the Memory Usage Preset and set it to Low, Check "Use Homescreen caches", click Homescreen Cache type and set that to Light, Build Caches as Needed SHOULD be Greyed Out, Clear Caches on exit needs to be Unchecked, and Prevent Force Closes needs checked. Also, in the General Settings menu, click Keep in Memory.
With these settings, I probably get one redraw a week, and it's usually after heavy camera use.

I hope this helps.

OP
A

AmsuJackal

Reaction score
yah i usually let android do its own task management, a lot of times ill just so it once at startup to exit things like easytether, maps, etc that im not gonna use for a long time, but thats the extent of my use with a task killer. i run adw ex and i didnt find some of the settings you mentioned. i did one more wipe/flash and this time only restored my apps, not my launcher or sms/call logs. its running a lot better now, i think it might have just been my adw ex that i had been dragging around with titanium backup since liberty 1.5. im just using the regular adw that comes stock on the rom now. so far, so good. i can even use pdanet and tether with it now where i couldnt before.