Backup Scenario - What are you doing?

Twist747

Reaction score
Backup Scenarios - Tell me what you think is best???

I've heard several things and the net result is, I'm not doing anything to protect myself. I'm not afraid of my Contact info, Email info, Tasks or Notes (They are on the Cloud & in Outlook). What about all the apps and stuff?

In my Palm Treo days, I had a nice little backup program that ran every night and would backup the entire phone to my SD Card. Every month or so, I would then back up the SD Card to my laptop. I was satisfied with this.

What should we do with the Droid? Similar? Different? Nothing? Just would love to hear what others recommend?

crspang

Reaction score
Paid Apps downloaded from the market are tied to your gmail acct so you'll be ok there. There are some backup apps that can be DL'd from the market too. Just search the market for backup.

OP
Twist747

Twist747

Reaction score
Paid Apps downloaded from the market are tied to your gmail acct so you'll be ok there. There are some backup apps that can be DL'd from the market too. Just search the market for backup.

I guess a good question is, what backup apps are your favorites and why are you using them?

Last edited:

crspang

Reaction score
My favs would be:
Astro
ATK
Moto Torch
Pure Grid Calender
SetCPU
TuneWiki

I have over 100 apps installed and truthfully they are all fluff, so if I were to lose them it wouldn't break my heart at all.

I really don't have a backup scenario because I don't really see the point (for me). I have no reason to backup text messages as there is nothing important in those threads, nor do I care about the apps because 99% of the ones I have DL'd are free anyway. Like I said the Paid Apps are tied to my gmail acct so I can get those back very easily.

pudah

Reaction score
Ive replaced my phone a few times and Google does a pretty good job with contacts, some apps and most settings, but not all. There are apps out there that will keep your data backed up online, but I dont really trust them w/personal info and don't want to use the resources. I use Astro as a file viewer and it has a great application backup feature. I also use a bookmark backup app (this was a bigger pain than anything trying to restore before) for bookmarks, shortcuts, etc. All of that stuff is backed up to the SD card, so if my phone fails I can get a new one, pop in the card, let Google restore it's stuff, then restore from Astro and the bookmark backup apps, and I'm 99% of the way there. There will still be a few settings here and there to tweak and likely a couple of updates or something that snuck by before I could back-up again, but nothing big. I am also going to make an image of the SD card and keep it stored elsewhere, so in the situation of a total loss, I can re-create the SD card as well.

Samstag

Reaction score
I use MyBackup Pro. I've never had to restore so I don't know how well it works but it lets you schedule a daily or weekly backup of apps and data to an online repository or the SD card.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm rooted and I use SpRecovery and do a nandroid backup any time I make a significant change to the Droid. I copy the nandroid backup to my laptop for security. This backs up the entire droid, including your settings, programs, screens, etc.

OP
Twist747

Twist747

Reaction score
So, outside of Apps, Contacts, Calendar, Tasks & Notes. What else would be the preference to be backed up?

pudah

Reaction score
So, outside of Apps, Contacts, Calendar, Tasks & Notes. What else would be the preference to be backed up?

Wallpaper, ringtones, alarms, settings, notifications, bookmarks, desktop icon placement, folders, etc.... lots of things. Playlists, albums...