Backup Questions...

lasu

Reaction score
I was reading the announcement and tried to figure out how to backup my phone before rooting it. or is that wrong?

Will I be able to go back to unrooted if there is a problem?

I already backed up my pics and contacts though..
Please help me. I am looking at the how to's at the unlocker but it doesn't say anything about backing it up.

riadav

Reaction score
From what I understand you've got to basically root before you can backup. Once you install the recovery partition you can do a backup from there that will get you back to that point in time...so...after rooting...before flashing custom ROM.

Once in the recovery partition (power + volume up) you can select backup and do a nand backup to your SD card.

I think you can un-root but personally have not had any issues to make me look into it.

Good luck!

OP
L

lasu

Reaction score
Thanks, was waiting for an answer before rooting. here goes nothing.

jprausch

Reaction score
Here's a related, but simpler, question. I have yet to install the 2.1 upgrade. I want to back-up my contacts first, in case I lose them in the upgrade. How can I easily back-up my contacts? This may seem like a dumb question, but I am sort of a newbie and am not 100% knowledgable about sync-ing, though I do have a Gmail account, if that helps. Any help anyone could provide me on how to backup my contacts, in easy clear instructions, would be very much appreciated.

riadav

Reaction score
Your contacts should already be backed up to your gmail contacts. Have you checked your gmail contact list?

jprausch

Reaction score
I have checked, and they are not there. What do I do now, please?

riadav

Reaction score
Hmmm...I think if you go into the contacts app and then into the menu there is an import/export option which dumps your contacts to your SD card.

That means they are local Phone contacts and not google contacts. I would try to get them imported to google, then your backup happens natively with each sync.