Back light under hard menu buttons has mind of it's own

evereddie

Reaction score
The lights under the menu buttons at the bottom of the phone doesn't make sense. It comes on in a dim environment but when too much light gets on the phone it turns off. I need it more when there is too much ambient light. If I hold my hand over the top of the phone it will come on but otherwise it goes off. I find myself hitting where I think the button is not by seeing it. Is this normal? Anyway to change?

stuigi

Reaction score
The lights under the menu buttons at the bottom of the phone doesn't make sense. It comes on in a dim environment but when too much light gets on the phone it turns off. I need it more when there is too much ambient light. If I hold my hand over the top of the phone it will come on but otherwise it goes off. I find myself hitting where I think the button is not by seeing it. Is this normal? Anyway to change?

The second day I had my TB, I thought it was defective. I went to my VZ store and after checking numerous TB's they all acted the same way. Maybe somewhere down the line there will be an adjustment setting for it. I find it also annoying at times but as you said, I have learned where the buttons are and can usually hit them right on

FyrJammer

Reaction score
Suppose to work that way

I would be thrilled if my D2 would do that. It's suppose to light in the dark and off in bright light. Mine won't light at all. Or it will light when it feels like it. I was hoping someone (kejar,jrummy,koush) would something in the tool apps for this issue.

sweenbeen

Reaction score
On my DroidX the home key now flickers... not sure wtf is up.... Damn gingerbread update

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

sweenbeen

Reaction score
Oh so now my menu key doesn't work and my phone only boots safe mode

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Nyobie

Reaction score
I've had my phone for a week and a half and had the backlighting on the buttons disappear for the first few days of ownership. I quickly hopped online only to find that others were complaining about the same thing, but so far, nobody had posted a fix.

Hopefully what worked for me, will work for you as well. I was able to fix the issue by disabling Task Killer from the Android Market. I believe the 'Build Ignore List' feature within Task Killer doesn't include the back lighting task so my setting of Aggressive was killing the lighting task while the phone was shut off (this is another setting I was using is to kill tasks when screen is off).

It's been 3 days and several power cycles and the buttons still work. I wrote to the Task Killer developer to let him know what I found and I'm hoping there will be a fix. Good luck!!

Update: lighting went out again at the end of the day on day 5. I Rerbooted the phone in a dark room and the lighting came back on. Very strange...

Last edited:

FyrJammer

Reaction score
I've had my phone for a week and a half and had the backlighting on the buttons disappear for the first few days of ownership. I quickly hopped online only to find that others were complaining about the same thing, but so far, nobody had posted a fix.

Hopefully what worked for me, will work for you as well. I was able to fix the issue by disabling Task Killer from the Android Market. I believe the 'Build Ignore List' feature within Task Killer doesn't include the back lighting task so my setting of Aggressive was killing the lighting task while the phone was shut off (this is another setting I was using is to kill tasks when screen is off).

It's been 3 days and several power cycles and the buttons still work. I wrote to the Task Killer developer to let him know what I found and I'm hoping there will be a fix. Good luck!!

Update: lighting went out again at the end of the day on day 5. I Rerbooted the phone in a dark room and the lighting came back on. Very strange...

I would try that, except, I don't use task killers. It may be with the programming for the soft keys, but hopefully it will get fixed. Meanwhile I got the Bionic, maybe too soon because now I want the RAZR. :)

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
These lights are controlled by a light sensor, in the bionic they are near the top - my guess is they are in the same area on the TB

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

FyrJammer

Reaction score
These lights are controlled by a light sensor, in the bionic they are near the top - my guess is they are in the same area on the TB

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Oh, no. My previous issue was with the Droid 2, but that would make sense. I'll have to play around with the brightness control. May only work in auto-bright. No issues (yet) with the Bionic.