Autocorrect seems worse since last 2 months

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
First off, I'm currently using a Nexus 5, stock 5.1 with only slight modifications to icons and whatnot. No screen protector or case.

So, about two months ago (rough estimate) I noticed that my autocorrect and typing in general just started sucking terribly. I even thought that I may have early signs of MS or something, because my texting/typing went from so amazing to terrible.

My keyboard says Google Keyboard, I do use 8sms for my text app, but this happens in facebook messenger as well, so it's a system problem for sure.

The kicker is, I even purchased a new Nexus 5 (didn't want the Nexus 6) last week, because my wireless charging had stopped working on my previous one and while fixing it by removing the backplate, one of my clips broke, and so LG (on Amazon) only had 2 left in stock, so I purchased one because I love the N5 so much and don't mind the camera/battery lacking for the next year until something else comes out (if Google continues the Nexus program)

So, both phones have the autocorrect issue, meaning it has to be a software issue.

More info:

Autocorrect setting: Aggressive
Note: I believe I had it set to modest before all this occurred, but I changed it in hopes that it would help, but no change.

Show correction suggestions: enabled

Personalized suggestions: enabled

Suggest contact names: enabled

Next-word suggestions: enabled

Auto-capitalization: enabled

Double-space after period: enabled

Improve Google keyboard: enabled

I've always been an incredibly quick and accurate typer on my phone (landscape mostly), and so this is just so strange. I was hoping the new Nexus 5 (which updated to 5.1 as soon as I turned it on) would fix the issue, but it hasn't.

If anyone has any ideas, or is experiencing anything similar, please let me know I'm not alone. I've literally been racking my brain trying to figure out how to fix or improve my typing.

And like I said, maybe I'll get tested for like early signs of MS or something, but I'm a journalist and type every single day and have zero problems with a normal keyboard where I type literally 10,000 words a day, so I would think I would have noticed some suffering at my job prior to noticing it on my phone, but the phone is a bit more delicate and prone to mistakes, it just seems like this happened after an update, and I wish I knew which one.

Like I said, I think it was about 2 months ago when I first noticed this, maybe a week or two less.

Thanks guys, really appreciate any info that's available. I'll be searching through the forum as much as I can, I apologize for making the post prior to research this on Droidforums, but I haven't been active in forever due to how busy I am, but I needed an answer quickly, and so I'll be combing through the forum now. I haven't had any success just googling if anyone else has had issues.

Thanks guys, and feels good to be back.

OP
Liderc

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Downloaded swiftkey after doing some searching, turned on the holo theme and a tweaked a few settings and it feels like I'm typing at hyper speed again lol. Guess I'll just stick with swiftkey for now, but I still think there is an issue with the stock keyboard or google keyboard, as it used to work amazingly well for me.

Anyways, thanks.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Glad to hear you found an alternative. SwiftKey is definitely one of the better keyboards out there.

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Many of these keyboards, including the Google one, learn from you the longer you've had them. Could be that something went awry with the data on their end. Either that, or you're just a terrible typer. :p

Anyway, I've been using Swiftkey for several years and love it. Though, even it has it's rough days when it seems like it doesn't know me at all any more. If you haven't already found it, check out the personalization settings in Swiftkey. You can have it learn from your facebook and twitter posts and gmail, so it gets a better idea of your word choice and etc.

I've turned off the "trending" setting though. I don't want my keyboard messed up by other people's laziness/stupidity.

OP
Liderc

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Many of these keyboards, including the Google one, learn from you the longer you've had them. Could be that something went awry with the data on their end. Either that, or you're just a terrible typer. :p

Anyway, I've been using Swiftkey for several years and love it. Though, even it has it's rough days when it seems like it doesn't know me at all any more. If you haven't already found it, check out the personalization settings in Swiftkey. You can have it learn from your facebook and twitter posts and gmail, so it gets a better idea of your word choice and etc.

I've turned off the "trending" setting though. I don't want my keyboard messed up by other people's laziness/stupidity.

Yeah, I know it learns over time, I'd had the same phone for nearly 2 years, so it should have all the data it had learned unless like I said, maybe a large update erased the data somehow.

I'd never done a hard reset, I actually did one AFTER the problem came up just to test it, then when my wireless charging broke I bought a new N5 and same problem.

Swiftkey is better, and yes I've adjusted everything in the advanced settings, only problem I have is it doesn't seem to have a middle ground between autocorrecting a word after hitting the spacebar or instantly fixing the current word and also putting a new word when you hit the spacebar.

It's certainly an improvement, just wish I could use my old keyboard, it was amazing, and now I'm having to relearn typing numbers and quotes and question marks ect...

It definitely has a better prediction than my previous keyboard does though, but sometimes it puts a double space between words and capitalizing letters it shouldn't, but I imagine that may be because I'm so used to my old one i'm just hitting space or something when I don't need to.

I'll keep tweaking and hopefully figure out the perfect setup. Thanks for the advice, but yeah I assure you, not a terrible typer, which was why I almost had myself tested for MS because it was so strange for my typing to be so bad on text/messenger/ect..

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
If it was an issue with the data, a factory reset wouldn't change anything anyway. As far as I know, they all use the cloud these days to sync multiple devices, so you get the same experience no matter which device you use.

As for the weird capitalization, it could very well be that you capitalized that word once when the keyboard didn't think it needed to and it now thinks you want to use that version of the word every time you type. If you tap on that word and there's an option in the bar that isn't capitalized, tap that one. If you simply delete and retype, I'm not sure it learns as quickly that that isn't your preferred way to type that particular word. Whereas, if you select an alternative when it's showing predictions, it should learn more quickly.

I hear you on re-learning some of the things you do by muscle memory though. I use a theme for Swiftkey that shows me all of the alternative characters on the letters. Super handy, but when I go to use other keyboards, I have to think about how to get to those characters. Even on keyboards that show the characters on the letters, some of them are in different places and it drives me nuts. Keeps me coming back to Swiftkey after trying other options.

Hope it works out better for you though!

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Yeah, I know it learns over time, I'd had the same phone for nearly 2 years, so it should have all the data it had learned unless like I said, maybe a large update erased the data somehow.
Please keep in mind that the data learned on your Google keyboard will not be transferred over to your SwiftKey keyboard. SwiftKey will have to relearn those words & typing/swyping habits.

S5 tap'n

OP
Liderc

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Please keep in mind that the data learned on your Google keyboard will not be transferred over to your SwiftKey keyboard. SwiftKey will have to relearn those words & typing/swyping habits.

S5 tap'n
Oh yeah, I know that, I just meant -- I assumed if it was any sort of issue that maybe got messed up when I had an update on the OLD N5, then a hard reset might do it some good.

Which actually, it did seem to help for a bit, but yes I know that the Swiftkey keyboard has no data for me, I made sure to enable everything that I could so it could see what I'm normally typing. But like I said, I'm a journalist, so I have literally millions of words written within all the info it asked for, so I'm hoping that doesn't hurt me, as obviously I don't use 90% of those words in my normal texting/fb messaging ect...