Auto reboot?

amajamar

Reaction score
Are there any apps that will automatically reboot the phone, say, every morning? I have found that Maps requires a reboot occasionally, and it would be convenient to automate that process on a daily basis.

I'm running stock 2.1.

Thanks in advance.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are there any apps that will automatically reboot the phone, say, every morning? I have found that Maps requires a reboot occasionally, and it would be convenient to automate that process on a daily basis.

I'm running stock 2.1.

Thanks in advance.

No. This is a Droid, not a Blackberry and while an occasional reboot is helpful there is absolutely no reason for a daily reboot. Matter of fact I think you are the first person to request this. At least first I've seen and if you look at my post count you might get the idea that I hang out here a lot.

Instead of rebooting your phone why not just go into your applications and shut down Maps?

OP
A

amajamar

Reaction score
Wow, Hook, don't you ever take a break? :icon_eek:

I've found that when the phone is on for a couple of days straight, Maps has trouble locking on to GPS. I tried the Force Stop, but it didn't help. After a reboot, though, it pick it right up.

Hence my question!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow, Hook, don't you ever take a break? :icon_eek:

I've found that when the phone is on for a couple of days straight, Maps has trouble locking on to GPS. I tried the Force Stop, but it didn't help. After a reboot, though, it pick it right up.

Hence my question!

I'm on a break all the time....lol...I love this place.

I haven't experienced that myself. But back to your original question I don't believe there is a battery pull or auto reset for the Droid.

But hey, I could be very wrong there are thousands of apps I know aboslutely nothing about.

OP
A

amajamar

Reaction score
Well, I did find one for root. RebootNow, I think it was.

gthomaspt

Reaction score
dancedroid Also RFRSH Refresh for Android (schedule you auto reboot --- date and time--- has ability to launch apps you want on restart of your device) or get the Basic version without the apps launcher. See the Android Market or Refresh for Android | Morpheus Tech Apps :icon_ banana:

OP
A

amajamar

Reaction score
Thanks. That is just what I was looking for!

MarkDF

Reaction score
No. This is a Droid, not a Blackberry and while an occasional reboot is helpful there is absolutely no reason for a daily reboot.

Interesting post, one I've thought about but not gotten around to asking. I have a need for rebooting periodically (fortunately not every day) because my Droid loses the ability to play my AAC music and video files. A simple reboot fixes the problem. 2.1 never did this, so something changed in 2.2.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You don't need to reboot. The problem isn't Maps. It's the GPS receiver (not the same thing, despite what many seem to think). Get GPS Status and use its GPS reset feature.

sentientchimp

Reaction score
For some, there are compelling reasons to perform a daily boot. In the Cyanogen Wiki, it states that compcache performance is strongest after boot but degrades over time. I've experienced this myself. Swap and Compcache - CyanogenMod Wiki
Thanks for the tip, gthomaspt, I'll have to check this app out.

javacodeguy

Reaction score
No. This is a Droid, not a Blackberry and while an occasional reboot is helpful there is absolutely no reason for a daily reboot. Matter of fact I think you are the first person to request this. At least first I've seen and if you look at my post count you might get the idea that I hang out here a lot.

Instead of rebooting your phone why not just go into your applications and shut down Maps?

I logged in just to reply and say this is probably one of the most inappropriate comments I've seen a mod make. As a moderator of a community shouldn't you try and help people out instead of telling them off and pretty much telling them how stupid their question is.

You could have suggested your solution as well, but why act like an asshole.

Mandrake981

Reaction score

I logged in just to reply and say this is probably one of the most inappropriate comments I've seen a mod make. As a moderator of a community shouldn't you try and help people out instead of telling them off and pretty much telling them how stupid their question is.

I am actually looking for the same thing, and thought I'd post and say that it IS a necessary thing for some people. Since the upgrade to 2.3.3 a few weeks ago, my X will only go so long before having to be rebooted (no applications can access the internet, and if you try to make a call, it'll bring up the dial pad, and once you hit the connect button it'll pick up, and then immediately hang up, etc.). This is a new problem, as the prior version worked perfectly. I have very few apps on the phone, and have tried removing everything. The only thing I haven't done is a factory reset.

Just having an app that can reboot the phone every night would be nice. I could then be pretty sure that it'd work correctly during the day (when I need it).

xxturbowesxx

Reaction score
Another way(you have to have tasker)

Download/install quickboot in the market

For Tasker, you pick Misc > Action Intent, with action
com.siriusapplications.quickboot.REBOOT and cat default and target Service.

This will perform a regular reboot not a hot reboot so schedule it in the middle of the night/early morning

The question isnt stupid at all.

Rebooting your phone is very helpful and in my phones the UI gets sluggish if run for more than 150-200hrs without a reboot. Setting up auto reboots daily seems to be the best way to keep them running smooth.