Audio/Video Media Player?

mevans

Reaction score
I've searched and can't find a definitive answer, so I thought I'd ask.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for a player that will play common video formats and allow me to listen to my voicemails that are emailed to me via my Exchange account? When I press "open" on the .wav file attachment now, the file opens in the media player, but it then states "Sorry, the player does not support this audio file type."

Seriously? The default media player doesn't support a simple wave file? :icon_eek:

Reaction score
Yes it does support it. I get my vonage emailed to my gmail account and it works like a charm.

Get download crutch and estrong file explorer. Download crutch should help the Download (but i think the phone should be able to handle all this without the apps) and then open the file.

should work no problem.

OP
M

mevans

Reaction score
Yes it does support it. I get my vonage emailed to my gmail account and it works like a charm.

Get download crutch and estrong file explorer. Download crutch should help the Download (but i think the phone should be able to handle all this without the apps) and then open the file.

should work no problem.

I have download crutch installed but I'm never prompted to download the wave file. I forwarded an email from my exchange app to my gmail app and I see the same behavior. I have a "preview" button and when I click preview, it tries to play it but can't.

Reaction score
Try restarting the phone pull the battery and then try again.

You sure its a wave file thats its dl?

OP
M

mevans

Reaction score
Try restarting the phone pull the battery and then try again.

You sure its a wave file thats its dl?

Positive, it's coming from a Trixbox server. Mediainfo says it's a GSM 6.10 wave file. I believe I can choose a different format. I'm going to give that a shot first, then I'll do the battery trick.

I figured it out. Trixbox (Asterisk) was encoding it using a GSM wave format. I changed voicemail.conf to reflect the standard wave format and it now works.

If anyone else runs into this issue, just edit /etc/asterisk/voicemail.conf and update the following line to reflect how I have it typed:

format = wav|wav49

Last edited:

timborocksloud

Reaction score
Hey Mevans, I am having the same problem you are, but I don't understand your fix. I just get an email with a .wav file. Is this something my IT guys have to handle?
Thanks

OP
M

mevans

Reaction score
Hey Mevans, I am having the same problem you are, but I don't understand your fix. I just get an email with a .wav file. Is this something my IT guys have to handle?
Thanks

Yep, they have to change the WAV type on the VoIP server.