Atrix/Bionic Lapdock = Tethering Charge?

therock

Reaction score
I have an application now where I occasionally tether from my D1 to my Laptop. Sure its free and will be gone soon. I don't like it but its a matter of survival.

So, I see the Atrix & possibly the Bionic will have WebTop?

Will this be considered as tethering and fee for said be added?
And do the Lapdocks have a 12v adapter power source available?

Will the Bionic have a lapdock?

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Yeah I believe it's considered tethering. Maybe if they have tiered data by then it won't matter anymore though.

Sent from my Transformer

littlerick

Reaction score
using the dock isnt tethering since your droid isnt sending the data to a 2nd device, its actually the same data on the same device just a bigger screen. (atleast thats what i assume) basically you arent using 2 different data streams, just 1

OP
therock

therock

Reaction score
I think I'll shoot over to the Atrix forum and ask and get back here.

Thanks

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
using the dock isnt tethering since your droid isnt sending the data to a 2nd device, its actually the same data on the same device just a bigger screen. (atleast thats what i assume) basically you arent using 2 different data streams, just 1

You assume incorrectly. You have to have tethering. I just looked it up. There's a hack to enable it from what I understand. However if you don't hack it you must pay for tethering. You should have known Att and Motorola would work it out so that the phone can tell the difference lol. Greedy greedy!

Sent from my Transformer

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that was definitely a loophole that they closed pretty quick. Again, I use way more data on my laptop so in theory I would drop home broadband for that.

I see the same problem with HDMI mirroring. Now, not sure how they are going to charge you for that (of course, tiered plans again doesn't matter).

Netflix reported some interesting data the other data. Their average broadband user downloads 44 gigs of data a month (which I think is still only about 5 hi-def movies a month). For everyone claiming data is data and wouldn't use more just because it's on their computer...

OP
therock

therock

Reaction score
Are people really watching movies on their phones? Ugh! I just assume play tetris.

Snow02

Reaction score
Not I'd just assume - it's I'd just as soon. Just fyi.

Snow02

Reaction score
I like to point that kind of stuff out on a forum, where no one really cares, so you don't make the same mistakes in real life. Thanks for being a good sport ;)

OP
therock

therock

Reaction score
I like to point that kind of stuff out on a forum, where no one really cares, so you don't make the same mistakes in real life. Thanks for being a good sport ;)

Its Karma. I do it all the time.

Getsome122

Reaction score

Lol. That was pretty funny.

But I kind of agree. I could see me watching netflix on my Xoom while on a trip but on my phone? Nah. I only put netflix on the phone to show off another capability of it.
DX- its like having a different phone every day. Cause i change everything every day...