AT&T Will Soon Increase Fees and Add a New One

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ATT-Death-Star.jpg

According to the latest intel, AT&T will soon be increasing some of their fees as well as adding new ones to their services. First, starting August 1st, AT&T plans to raise the activation fee for one- and two-year contracts from $40 to $45. This will now be the highest activation fee amongst all the US carriers.

AT&T has something even more irritating planned than that small price increase though. Any customer who signs up for the AT&T Next service on or after August 1st will have to pay a $15 activation fee. Previously, AT&T's Next Plan was an upgrade-when-you-want installment plan that lets consumers get started with $0 down and no hidden activation, financing, or upgrade fees. It looks like AT&T thought they were leaving free money on the tablet, so they are changing that.

The same $15 rate applies even if you bring your own compatible smartphone from a different carrier for a new, contract-free line of service with the carrier. Anyone who already has the Next plan or who signs up before August 1st will not have this $15 fee. This move should make T-Mobile's CEO happy as it gives him extra ammunition.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
All of the money we already give these carriers and they still want to nickel and dime us. Sad. These days, I really feel like activation fees are ridiculous anyway. Everything is managed by some computer system. It doesn't cost them anything to click a button and get the signals flowing to my new device. They shouldn't be charging anyone for that in the first place. Let alone almost $50.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
They are taking advantage, and going to be taking advantage, of the fact that people love to upgrade more often/sooner. This doesn't qualify for nickel and diming anymore, it's dollar and $10 dollaring

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
This is rediculous. They have 80 million customers. If the average bill was $50 a month they would be grossing 4 billion dollars. A month. That is a low average so you know that they are raking in more than that.

I remember when contracts were coming up to be resigned they had a retention team. They would really hook you up with more bang for your buck. It is the opposite now.

I'm riding the TMO bandwagon until their business model bankrupts them or they are purchased by someone. Whichever comes first.

WERA689

Administrator
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
One+ One, Nexus 5
This is symbolic of the mindset in most any industry these days. How much did it used to cost to carry luggage on a plane..checked or carryon? How much now? As long as "maximum profits now" is the mantra....as long as shareholders are more important than the customers who use these services...this is what we'll continue to get. You'd think these huge repositories of money would be quicker at identifying little things they can get away with charging us for than this....What's next? Charging by the square of TP in public restrooms?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
This is symbolic of the mindset in most any industry these days. How much did it used to cost to carry luggage on a plane..checked or carryon? How much now? As long as "maximum profits now" is the mantra....as long as shareholders are more important than the customers who use these services...this is what we'll continue to get. You'd think these huge repositories of money would be quicker at identifying little things they can get away with charging us for than this....What's next? Charging by the square of TP in public restrooms?
Shhh! Don't give them ideas!

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I'm riding the TMO bandwagon until their business model bankrupts them or they are purchased by someone. Whichever comes first.

If my next job doesn't pay for my phone, it's surely Sprint or TMO for me...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
If my next job doesn't pay for my phone, it's surely Sprint or TMO for me...
If you've got coverage on both or either, may I humbly suggest project fi? I'd be all over that service if we had either of those carriers up here.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Once it leaves the beta and supports more phones, I would 100% consider that, too.
N6 too big!!! :D

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Certainly Verizon will follow...
If only TM or Sprint had V and ATT service here...

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Nice to see AT&T get some bad press occasionally.....more often than not, the angry villagers are waving their torches at Verizon. (I'm sure you'll be back in the headlines next week VZW....It's inevitable)

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Nice to see AT&T get some bad press occasionally.....more often than not, the angry villagers are waving their torches at Verizon. (I'm sure you'll be back in the headlines next week VZW....It's inevitable)

S5 tap'n
It's not the weekend yet. They've still got one business day.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
You can't count Friday....all the CEOs & bigwigs are on the golf course that day, and the big decisions are left for Monday.

S5 tap'n

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock

S5 tap'n
Verizon is The Evil Empire, still playing Darth Vader and peddling CDMA devices.

Sent from my Note 3, using magic and TapaTalk version 2.4.15 ...