AT&T Emphatically Declares it Will Not Support Unlocked Bootloaders Now or Ever

Had a Droid 2 right after the droid x came out (got it as a replacement for d1). I remember all the news coming out almost monthly with a different dev saying they found a way to unlock it only to end up being disappointed. The droid x and droid 2 was the first phones to drive us crazy with the locked bootloader non sense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Totally agree. That would prevent them having to take a loss when someone bricks the phone by doing something wrong. However, another reason is to prevent people from being able to use the phone as a hot spot without paying for it. Another however, that should be their right if they are on a data plan, but not if on an unlimited plan.

Why does Verizon insist on locked bootloaders when hot spot is free on their plans?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I was going to say I don't buy they ever got a bunch of bricked phones as returns. Then I remembered all the people flashing roms on the Rezound and GNex, and having problems (mostly likely user error) and thinking their glitchy flash was a hardware problem and returning it. You know the type "I wiped 20 times, did a clean flash twice and blah blah bla" and then 5 people respond "don't know bro, no problem here it must be your phone"

Still skeptical, though. But they DEFINITELY don't want people setting up the hotspot for free, especially the grandfathered unlimited plans.

I can see many arguments about this subject. There are at least 2 ways to look at doing what you want with your phone. If you pay full price for your phone then you obviously own it and should be able to do what you want as long as you don't violate the TOS that you signed up for. However, if you bought the phone at the subsidized price then Verizon can make the argument that they own it for the next 2 years. Sort of like rent to buy. I have no idea where the legal standing is on this, just throwing out arguments. As I said earlier in this thread, I think you should be able to do whatever you want, as long as you don't expect warranty repair if you screw it up and you obey the TOS. I also disagree with the part of the TOS that doesn't allow you to use as a hotspot if you are on a pay per use data plan. You're buying a certain amount of data, so it should be yours to use it however you want. Paying per GB and then paying extra to tether is BS.

That's marketing-speak.( All they have to do is as simple as "you unlock, you void your warranty no exceptions)"

Note both VZW and AT&T offer unlocked developer editions FOR FULL RETAIL. It's very difficult to brick a device, and all you have to really do is flash the RUU to start over. I just don't think they get many bricks returned.

() kinda thought thats what i was saying, maybe i quoted the wrong post lol

There are warranties involved regardless if you buy subsidized or retail. That's what it boils down to, it's not an issue of who owns the phone (and whether you buy retail or subsidized, you OWN the phone when you walk out the door).

The only really legitimate argument I can see are people flashing buggy roms and/or buggy flashes and running back to return their phone because they've imagined hardware problems. And a lot of times they return it to stock before taking it back and it would be pretty tough for some store hack to be any the wiser.

Again, I'd like to see the numbers. It sounds reasonable that a a good number of warranty claims are "phantom" issues - and besides cost their service is going to take a hit (and beyond just that user as he tells everyone about his buggy GNex). I still have my doubts but can't dismiss it

So does this mean that ATT will stop offering Nexus phones?

VZW is aweful when it comes to Unlocked phones, and yet they allow Nexus devices on their network.

I think that for us, Nexus is the only way to go from now on, or Google Experience versions of other phones. I for one am tired of having to mess with my phone and the constant battle between obtaining root, then an OTA takes it away, etc... It disrupts the Devs and it seems like at least on my RazR HD, they never quite catch up. There is not a single ROM out there that is as good as the stock Moto ROM, and the reason is that it took so long to get Root and an unlocked bootloader on this device, that it was a day late and a dollar short when they did. It just hasn't gotten the attention and focus that other devices have, and the quality of the ROMs for this phone shows that.

I can see many arguments about this subject. There are at least 2 ways to look at doing what you want with your phone. If you pay full price for your phone then you obviously own it and should be able to do what you want as long as you don't violate the TOS that you signed up for. However, if you bought the phone at the subsidized price then Verizon can make the argument that they own it for the next 2 years. Sort of like rent to buy. I have no idea where the legal standing is on this, just throwing out arguments. As I said earlier in this thread, I think you should be able to do whatever you want, as long as you don't expect warranty repair if you screw it up and you obey the TOS. I also disagree with the part of the TOS that doesn't allow you to use as a hotspot if you are on a pay per use data plan. You're buying a certain amount of data, so it should be yours to use it however you want. Paying per GB and then paying extra to tether is BS.

i agree if you pay per gb you should be able to do what you want, but on the same note its the carriers fault for allowing truly unlimited for the phone. they pretty much shot themselves in the foot by allowing an unreasonable amount of data to be linked to the phone. i also see there point about wanting to get paid for the hotspot, although with the unlimited phone data they obviously caused a problem for themselves, as we see it as the same data paid twice they see it as stealing. which i believe it is because they have it setup as clearly 2 different services, regardless of how much data you have.

what bothers me is that those doing the illegal tethering just dont get it. they are the ones who drove vzw to the tiered plans, and at which point vzw decides to kill unlimited for everyone, there will be a river of tears, and i doubt they will see even then that its their fault.
however, they will only have themselves to blame, and we all will be the ones suffering.

Back