Are the Droid commercials offensive?

Dr. Tenma

Reaction score
I don't see the problem with this commercial at all. I mean, beauty pageants themselves are sexist, mocking of them is just mocking one of the most mocked sexist rituals in pop culture. Anyone saying throwing a water balloon at a mannequin is equal to slamming the gay population is just trying too hard. It's a commercial showing generically "pretty" things in pop culture and then saying the Droid is a manly robot thing. I liked it 8)

LordKastle

Reaction score
Unfortunately people have unresolved issues within and are not comfortable in their own skin. They look for external factors to justify the being of their inner-self and then project it outwardly.

Last edited:

ezeddiekun

Reaction score
Wow people are going as far as pulling the commercial from Youtube?? I hope they don't pull it from T.V.

windstrings

Reaction score
Lots of cry babies and victims out there you know!
Don't say anything to bruise their feelings.. they are sensitive little flowers you know!

We must keep them fresh and pretty!

StingRay

Reaction score
Unbelievable how ridiculous people can be....nothing wrong with the commercials and certainly nothing "sexist"

as a compromise though, in the next Droid commercial just show someone hauling off and kicking some guy in the junk......case closed...equality for all!:icon_ devil:

tits_mcgee3

Reaction score
Duh

Well, since you asked...
Yeah, I think the commercial's sexist and mean spirited. It made me not want to buy a motorola, felt like a turn off. Showing images of women and talking about "digitally clueless pageant queens" or whatever just reinforces a really unfortunate stereotype that most people tend to believe: That women, especially attractive women, tend to be stupid. I am really getting disheartened with all the increasingly overt and common objectification /dehumanization imagery surrounding women being used by corporations to sell products. It doesn't feel like the companies are looking out for our best interests as a culture, and our higher selves as people in this world. It feels like commercials like this are appealing to the machismo in dudes, and not to women at all.

I think our society is in chaos, not because of "just one ad," but because you all feel like you're on this train of trying to be more and more "edgy" or "intense" and anyone - any competitor who steps off it is sure to lose. But I think it's more intense and awesome to reach out to people in a positive way - whether you like him or not, look at Obama's success in bringing people together by appealing to people's sense of good will, not their knee-jerk stupidity. Trends of sexism in commercials seems to point at a larger truth that is going on in our culture right now too, which is economic collapse, which affect men hard. Just remember, we don't have to drown our economic sorrows in the denigration of women.

Last edited by a moderator:

darreno1

Reaction score
^^ The ad is saying you don't have to be 'pretty' to be considered good. That the Droid is more about function and speed and less about being 'attractive'. While it obviously portrays the competition in a negative light, the idea that beauty isn't everything is certainly a positve message.

Seems to me you saw what you wanted to see by taking things out of context.

Takami826

Reaction score
I'm sorry but given your handle here is TITS McGEE.... I call troll. Cuz you're not gonna choose the name TITS McGEE and be offended at a phone commercial? HAHAHAHA

and just to add, I AM a woman and found this commercial so awesome it's now in my blog and I share it with everyone who can rise above being offended at every little thing... some people will just find fault with everything.

while we're on it, corporations are here to MAKE $$$$$$ it's not their job to wipe our butts. Without corps making $, they don't hire people like us so...

people really need to get over themselves and stop being so danged serious all the time!

Last edited:

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
While I hate debating about things, I just have a few things to respond to. A lot of people are saying how this commercial is insulting of women. I don't think so, I agree with a number of posts here that this commercial is targeting a type of individual who values Form over function...which the commercial is implying as the iPhone. If you look at it, it's personifying the iPhone into archetypes that people can identify in their lives. It's a comercial, it's trying to connect to it's audience.
Well, since you asked...
Yeah, I think the commercial's sexist and mean spirited. It made me not want to buy a motorola, felt like a turn off. Showing images of women and talking about "digitally clueless pageant queens" or whatever just reinforces a really unfortunate stereotype that most people tend to believe: That women, especially attractive women, tend to be stupid.
It feels like commercials like this are appealing to the dickheads in dudes, and not to women at all.
Trends of sexism in commercials seems to point at a larger truth that is going on in our culture right now too, which is economic collapse, which affect men hard. Just remember, we don't have to drown our economic sorrows in the denigration of women.
I'm seeing a lot of double-standards about women here. While I don't feel the commercial targets women in general, I feel like a lot people think we should "go-easier" about the message in the commercial because it'll offend women. Isn't this way of thinking sexist in itself? Your arguing about how "sexist" a commercial is with a sexist way of thinking. Either way, it's not making the situation any better.

Also I'm seeing a lot of stereotyping with comments people against the commercial are saying. There have been a number of women that have stated that they liked the commercial and were not offended by it. So if this commercial isn't suppose to appeal to women, then what is? A comercial were Verizon and AT&T are holding hands, or the droid and the iPhone skipping through a field of flowers and having a picnic discussing while sipping camomile tea? The commercial is at-least honest about it's opinion and it's not about to sugar coat it just because some people aren't going to like. Or you could take the european commercial and take a stand like that. But unfortunately that won't fly in the US, it wouldn't do a good job at selling the product. As verizon's flagship phone and marking their relationship with google, that in itself is a big deal. They'd be kinda foolish if they didn't press it in their commercials somehow.

Also I didn't see it as saying "attractive women are stupid" at-all If anything I thought it was kinda mocking beauty pageants. If you want to talk about denigration of women I think your in the wrong forum, you should be attacking a Pageant forum which is in support Beauty pageants (which is has been part of our culture for a looooong time). This stereotype only exist because IMO it's mostly true, *cough*miss california*cough*. I'm sure a lot of beauty pageant participants are intelligent but IMO many are over-emphasizing the Beauty part of it, and we get is a "beauty" that maybe on surface seems like she has her head on right, but let's face it... it's a contest people are going to say anything/appear a certain way to win. Beauty pageants are very superficial if you ask me. How are they suppose to benefit women as a whole?

But first and foremost this is a commercial. It's suppose to put a product out there to the masses. And from what I've seen it's freaking working. Whether it be bad publicity or good publicity, it's still publicity. I think people are over-thinking this waaay too much. Heck you've even got me to over-think this. This comercial was about the Droid vs. iPhone, I don't know how it became about men vs women. You don't like the commercial...fine, you don't agree with it's message...that's perfectly fine. I think it's healthy that we're all having a discussion about it, but when one person starts saying "you shouldn't say this or that" and start censoring things then we start having a problem, as it's our american right to say what our opinions are.

Lastly...It's a friggin' commercial. If you get offended by a commercial I think there are other issues to be addressed...If you don't like it then fine, move along and buy some other product. But "making it a big deal about it" like that women upset in the Original post's article is just adding fuel to the fire. If she truly wanted to "protect" women I think she should start somewhere more meaningful rather than one commercial about one product that sometimes gets aired on T.V. which only lasts a few seconds.

Lighten up people it's just a commericial :icon_ banana:

Last edited:

Takami826

Reaction score
Thanks, JonKyo... I'm not gonna requote your stuff but your comments made me ROFLMAO!!!!

I am finding this hilarious because I believe it's primarily women/moms who take their little girls to those Princess Too type places where you dress up your little girls as prostitots and parade them around in little beauty pageants... to me THAT's far more offensive and a scarier indicator of our culture's priorities than a freakin' commercial that compares an iPhone to a self-asborbed shallow tart parading around on the catwalk.

now I'M ranting about freakin prostitots... I'm done with this thread LOL