Are Gmail Contacts Secure?

Phillip944

Reaction score
Do you have sensative information on your Gmail contacts list? Logon info, account numbers, etc.?

I'm not 100% comfortable with my info on iGoogle. Am I wrong?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've been using gmail for about six years and frankly I've not only never had a personal problem with security I've never even heard of anyone having such a problem. On the other hand, there are lots of applications designed to manage sensitive information so I'm at a loss to understand why you would keep information like "account numbers" in a contact list.

OP
Phillip944

Phillip944

Reaction score
I've been using gmail for about six years and frankly I've not only never had a personal problem with security I've never even heard of anyone having such a problem. On the other hand, there are lots of applications designed to manage sensitive information so I'm at a loss to understand why you would keep information like "account numbers" in a contact list.

I keep account numbers for easy access when I don't have my laptop with me. Can you recommend a information management app?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

I keep account numbers for easy access when I don't have my laptop with me. Can you recommend a information management app?

There are a host of them available. Take a look at Find great Android apps and games - AppBrain in the "financial apps" category if you want a dedicated application with forms for such stuff.

But I have a simpler solution. I use NoteEverything (pro). It's a note taking application with many neat features, one of which is the ability to encrypt any note. I simply put my bank account number, for example, in a suitably titled note and encrypt it with an appropriate password for access. Works like a charm and avoids maintaining it anywhere but on my phone. And if that doesn't satisfy you, an app called "Protector" allows you to set password security on any file or application on your phone. Very good for securing access to email, for example.

gprichardson1

Reaction score
Here's a thread about password keepers. Personally, I use SplashID, mostly because it's what I used on my old Palm so it was simple enough to transfer the data from the Palm to the Droid. It's password protected and seemingly pretty secure. I use it to store all sorts of login, account, and other sensitive info. The thread talks about other password keepers that people like.

-Gary

s-one

Reaction score
This is a good question. In general if you use the SSL enabled gmail/igoogle urls for web access, you are safe per SSL encryption. I'm not sure how the Droid or Android OS for that matter handles the security layer of contacts and its gmail app. I'm assuming since this would be a dumb thing to leave out that they do some how encrypt the data syching between the Droid and its servers.