Are Droid 2 & Droid 2 Global Identical In Terms of Rooting, CM4D2-GB, et?

receptacle

Reaction score
It's a simple question, but I need to know if the Droid 2 is the same as the Droid 2 Global when it comes to using all the same rooting procedures, running same ROMs, etc.

I think my phone has some issues and I'm thinking of returning while it's still under warranty.

Issue 1) When a call is over and I take the phone away from my head to press "End," the screen appears for only a half second. Before I can press "End," it goes blank. At that point no amount of button pressing will make it appear again.

Issue 2) When it is plugged in, the screen goes weird with unpredictable reading of my swipes and touches. If I try to swype, it enters all sorts of weird stuff. If I try to scroll up and down through a list, it will jump the wrong direction randomly.

If they want to replace my phone, I doubt they'll provide a Droid 2, but maybe a D2 Global. I must have slide-out keyboard though.

havens1515

Reaction score
For rooting GB, as far as I know the process is the same. It's also the same for most other Moto phones.

ROMing though, is a different story. D2 and D2G take different ROMs.

If they want to replace your phone, I've heard they've been replacing them with the X2 and the inc2 (I think), but a lot of people have been reporting that they do not get back a D2 OR a D2G when they send in for replacement.

Also - if you plan to do a warranty return, make sure to sbf first.

OP
receptacle

receptacle

Reaction score
thanks for the info. as annoying as these things are I'm not sure it would be worth it if I had to get a totally different phone, especially without a slide out keyboard.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
receptacle

receptacle

Reaction score
Should I return to OTA Gingerbread before I even take the phone in to show them what it's doing? ... or only before I agree to let them exchange it?

There are so many bits and pieces of answers out there about sbf, etc... I'm not sure exactly the steps I'd have to take to safely return to OTA GB. I started with OTA GB, rooted with the Droid 3 Linux root method, then installed ROM Manager, CM4D2-GB, gapps, and Jakebites Mod. I have a backup of each major step along the way inlcluding now and for when it was OTA GB. The backups preserve contact and everything right?

havens1515

Reaction score
I would make sure to be on stock before even taking it in.

There are instructions on how to sbf in my signature. If you need a link to the OTA I can post one later.

A backup includes EVERYTHING, including settings and a whole lot more, but it's specific to the phone. (and since the bootloader is locked, it's even specific to the kernel you are currently on.) Your contacts, calendar and some other info are all backed up to your Google account too.

duyna

Reaction score
My bro had his droid 2 global replaced with a new droid 3

ota gb rooted with cm7 with jakebites mod perfect