Apps to sd card

Darryl_B

Reaction score
Wonder if anyone can help would like to move apps than can be moved to external sd card used app2sd program but it just moves from phone to internal sd + would like to know how to tell it to use external sd card for other things..... any help would be greatly appreciated ............. Darryl :hail:

lowboydrvr

Reaction score
As far as I am aware, the Droid Razr does not allow apps to move to the external SD card, only the internal SD card. The external card is treated like media storage, i.e., pictures, videos, music, documents, etc.

nateohio

Reaction score
I will never understand peoples fascination with moving Apps to the SD card on the newer phones coming out now. They are NOT the phones of a year or so ago that didn't have adequate storage space. IF the RAZR is set up like the other newer Moto phones, then it has a portion of the internal storage setup solely for the storage of apps. This portion that is set aside, is typically 3-4gb that CANNOT be utilized for anything else, so why would you want to move the apps from this area? You're not gaining any space, and you'd be hard pressed to actually fill up 3-4 gigs worth of space with nothing but apps.

OP
D

Darryl_B

Reaction score
Well nateohio i appreciate your opinion but i am not new at this been using mobile phones from the time they were invented same with cell phones but with over 200 apps i just would like to put them on the external card its like i don't understand why people climb mountains but they do ......... now here is another thing to ponder how can you change ringtones not to the others in there but add new ones that you might have that you use ...... found where they are stored they are .ogg files so i converted mine to .ogg but there is no way to get them in there that i am aware of tried to copy them there but no luck ....... and i also thought the idea of the forum was to pick the phone apart to find out the does and don'ts what can be done and not done .......... aside from that Thank You for your reply .....:)

lowboydrvr

Reaction score
As far as I know, the external SD card (micro SD) is for media storage (photos, videos, music, documents, etc.). The Razr can use the internal SD for storing apps. I use APPS2SD and it moves the apps from the main internal storage to the internal SD storage.

klosea

Reaction score
If you want to keep photography info on your bionic or razr, you can fill that space with just one or two apps! So being able to store on 8gb internal card when able is a godsend. The bionic continues to lose some apps on reboot. The Razr has not yet. I formatted it before I used it and Moto will not let you put apps that will "disappear" on it now, but the apps that will-STAY. To do this just go to settings,applications,manage applications, pick app and find "add to media" box and hit. If it changes to "add to phone", it is in storage area. External SD card is only for music, videos, backups or things you add from PC. Whew, hope this helps.l

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
D

Darryl_B

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply well i understand what you are saying but i am storing all my photos music and files on the external card with no problem but the apps are internal that is ok to because i can use external for pics ,music etc and when i take pics it stores them on external card, somewhere in settings i told it to use external card instead of media card ....... also to answer my own question above there is an app called ringdroid in the market for free that will let you use or make other ringtones .....:biggrin: Thank You all again always great to hear other opinions ..........

nateohio

Reaction score
If you want to keep photography info on your bionic or razr, you can fill that space with just one or two apps! So being able to store on 8gb internal card when able is a godsend. The bionic continues to lose some apps on reboot. The Razr has not yet. I formatted it before I used it and Moto will not let you put apps that will "disappear" on it now, but the apps that will-STAY. To do this just go to settings,applications,manage applications, pick app and find "add to media" box and hit. If it changes to "add to phone", it is in storage area. External SD card is only for music, videos, backups or things you add from PC. Whew, hope this helps.l

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
Let me go ahead and clarify that I meantno offense to those of you that do this because it seems as though some people think I was being condescending. I simply don't understand it and i'm hopping that you guys can enlighten me to something I don't know.

What photography information are you storing in the apps storage? A photography app? Photo editing? what apps are out there that can fill 2-3 gigs of space? Even if you have 200 apps at 5mb a piece your still only using 1 gig of space?

All i'm saying is, the partition that is allocated for apps can't be used for anything else. You can't store photos, videos, backups, system info, our any thing else there. Even if you have a separate photo app, it installs the app itself to the partition but stores the photos or videos on either the internal or external sd card.

Unless you fill up the app partition or your just doing it because you want to, there is no reason to store your apps anywhere else other than the app partition. Your not gaining anything and your taking up space that could be utilized for other things

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Olmanrivah

Reaction score
I see what you're saying. No need to put Apps on card. But, I do it anyway.:blink: