Apps on a new replacement phone

HBGTBT

Reaction score
ALL: Can anyone tell me how to transfer apps from one droid to another droid???? I just like all of you spend hours searching the internet for cool apps. I have found about 100 that I liked and used almost daily. Then my droid fails and verizon replaced my droid with a new one. I cannot believe that I have to search the internet again for hours trying to find the apps I found and downloaded over the past 9 months, how can I transfer the apps from my old droid to me new droid? Thanks.

asumofparts

Reaction score
Sorry I cant help but I am in the same boat which is how I wound up here.

Im hoping by bringing back this thread I may get some help

Verizon is replacing my phone and it will be here tomorrow. I dont have nearly 100 applications but the ones I have downloaded from market I like very much. How do I get those programs I downloaded from Market on to my new droid?

Alex

MCABRAL

Reaction score
I can deff help you out with that

I WORK FOR A VERIZON AND I TELL ALL MY CUSTOMERS THAT BUY A DROID OR ANY ANDROID PHONES TO DOWNLOAD ASTRO FILE MANAGER ITS FREE AND RUN A BACK UP ON THE PHONE ON ALL THE APPS THAT U BAUGHT AND DOWNLOADED ... THEN ON THE REPLACMENT PHONE YOU WANT TO DOWNLOAD ASTRO FILE MANAGER AGIN WHEN THE PHONE IS ACTIVE AND THEN RESTORE AND IT WILL DOWNLOAD ALL THE APPS YOU HAVE... dancedroiddancedroid

Reaction score
I WORK FOR A VERIZON AND I TELL ALL MY CUSTOMERS THAT BUY A DROID OR ANY ANDROID PHONES TO DOWNLOAD ASTRO FILE MANAGER ITS FREE AND RUN A BACK UP ON THE PHONE ON ALL THE APPS THAT U BAUGHT AND DOWNLOADED ... THEN ON THE REPLACMENT PHONE YOU WANT TO DOWNLOAD ASTRO FILE MANAGER AGIN WHEN THE PHONE IS ACTIVE AND THEN RESTORE AND IT WILL DOWNLOAD ALL THE APPS YOU HAVE... dancedroiddancedroid

That was intense reading if you imagine this is all yelling. Informative and good info .........but intense.
Sent from The Dark Edge

samredman

Reaction score
Do I need to move my sdcard to my replacement Droid? Or does Astro keep that information somewhere online?

boostedhonda

Reaction score
Do I need to move my sdcard to my replacement Droid? Or does Astro keep that information somewhere online?

Yes you will need to move your sd card to your new phone. Astro creates a folder with all the backups onto your sdcard.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

samredman

Reaction score
@boostedhonda... Thanks for your helpful answer. Following your direction, I moved my sd card over to my replacement phone, but then a pleasant surprise happened... when I went to the Market downloads... it automatically downloaded all my apps both paid and free (including Astro)with no further action on my part (so I didn't need to use the Astro backup to get them all back.) Everything is now there (also contacts, messages etc).

Off topic sort of --- Oddly, on my new replacement Droid, the physical keyboard doesn't allow me to type any of the keys on the left of the keyboard (I got the replacement because the touchscreen on the old one had gone crazy). The physical keyboard really isn't really important to me, because I don't use the physical keyboard that often, but I think that I will go back into the store and make arrangements for yet a second replacement (since they got this one to me in two days fedex), because the reactivation is so completely painless.

boostedhonda

Reaction score
@boostedhonda... Thanks for your helpful answer. Following your direction, I moved my sd card over to my replacement phone, but then a pleasant surprise happened... when I went to the Market downloads... it automatically downloaded all my apps both paid and free (including Astro)with no further action on my part (so I didn't need to use the Astro backup to get them all back.) Everything is now there (also contacts, messages etc).

Off topic sort of --- Oddly, on my new replacement Droid, the physical keyboard doesn't allow me to type any of the keys on the left of the keyboard (I got the replacement because the touchscreen on the old one had gone crazy). The physical keyboard really isn't really important to me, because I don't use the physical keyboard that often, but I think that I will go back into the store and make arrangements for yet a second replacement (since they got this one to me in two days fedex), because the reactivation is so completely painless.

Yes the reason they automatically downloaded is because of the backup files astro made on your sd. The only apps the market usually automatically restores without backup files are ones that you have purchased.

samredman

Reaction score
@boostedhonda... Thanks again for pointing that out... and thanks to MCABRAL who described the Astro backup (but, he thought you had to re-download Astro for it to work). It just worked invisibly without further action, which is some info that people reinstalling will be very pleased to learn.

Oddly, it auto downloaded and installed all my apps except one... my Not Call Log app wasn't there and I had to manually re-install it. That's one app I can't do without. It lets you chose what screen you want show after ending any phone call (both incoming and outgoing), rather going to the default "call history" page, (which has the potential of embarassing pocket dialing results).

boostedhonda

Reaction score
@boostedhonda... Thanks again for pointing that out... and thanks to MCABRAL who described the Astro backup (but, he thought you had to re-download Astro for it to work). It just worked invisibly without further action, which is some info that people reinstalling will be very pleased to learn.

Oddly, it auto downloaded and installed all my apps except one... my Not Call Log app wasn't there and I had to manually re-install it. That's one app I can't do without. It lets you chose what screen you want show after ending any phone call (both incoming and outgoing), rather going to the default "call history" page, (which has the potential of embarassing pocket dialing results).

No problem man, glad to help.

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
The market will automatically attempt to reinstall all the apps that you previously had installed. Sometimes it's hit and miss on whether or not it actually downloads them all but it usually does a pretty good job at it.

This behavior is completely independent of Astro or Astro backups on the SD card.