Apps not restoring after factory reset

Natey2

Reaction score
My Apps are not restoring after a factory reset.
Do only paid Apps auto-restore?
I do have both checkboxes checked in the Privacy settings to backup/restore from my Google account.

Sent from my unrooted DROIDX using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
Natey2

Natey2

Reaction score
I reinstalled the Amazon Appstore app, give it my account, and all my Amazon store apps are listed, ready to be reinstalled.
Why can't Google be more like Amazon? Maybe Amazon should start their own smartphone OS...

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Some apps auto restore it depends. It also takes awhile sometimes before the market works right.

sent from my ZombieStomped X

sfreemanoh

Reaction score
If it's an AOSP ROM (and I just learned this myself), your apps probably won't restore automatically. Also...NONE of the Amazon store apps restore automatically, so how is that better than the Google market apps, when you're complaining about wanting them to restore? Your argument doesn't make a lot of sense...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If it's an AOSP ROM (and I just learned this myself), your apps probably won't restore automatically. Also...NONE of the Amazon store apps restore automatically, so how is that better than the Google market apps, when you're complaining about wanting them to restore? Your argument doesn't make a lot of sense...

First what's an AOSP ROM? I don't have a clue.

Restoration of apps after doing a reset use to be that none of the apps restored on their own, and the paid ones you installed from the Market. Then that changed and Market apps started self installing. Now when I do it almost all my apps restore. Now I don't make a habit of doing restores but from I see in this Forum that's pretty common for most people. No reason that I can think of X would be different.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score

First what's an AOSP ROM? I don't have a clue.

Restoration of apps after doing a reset use to be that none of the apps restored on their own, and the paid ones you installed from the Market. Then that changed and Market apps started self installing. Now when I do it almost all my apps restore. Now I don't make a habit of doing restores but from I see in this Forum that's pretty common for most people. No reason that I can think of X would be different.

There are 2 types of ROM's. AOSP and Blur-based. Blur based is when a developer takes the stock Motorola rom and tweaks it still leaving Blur. AOSP is built from the ground up. That's it in a nutshell and by no means a technical answer...

sent from my ZombieStomped X

porpoise hork

Reaction score
I have noticed this as well. not all my apps restore so i started backing up the vast majority of them with Titanium (need to be rooted) and just do a batch install with that. plus it cuts the restore proccess down to minutes instead of an hour or more to d/l all those apps..

it also comes in handy if its an app that google has pulled from the market ie: free music downloader.

now if you're not rooted look into Astro to back up the apps. just know it will not save client data so any progress will be lost.

sfreemanoh

Reaction score
AOSP = Android Open Source Project. Basically, from the little I know, it's "pure" Android, as opposed to a Blur ROM, or TouchWiz, etc.

So from what I'm gathering, auto-restoration of apps seems to be something built-in and handled by some of the Blur services, which on an AOSP ROM, would not be there. (Partial guessing there, feel free to correct anything I'm mistaken about.)

OP
Natey2

Natey2

Reaction score
I've never rooted. Stock DroidX.
At the very least, my apps could have showed up under the market's My Apps option...
If I try to manually install from the market, my previous editable rating and comments for the app show up, so my device/account is recognized as having that app in the past.

So what exactly do the Backup and Restore check boxes do (under Privacy)? I thought things were getting saved to the associated Google account.

My apps are backed up to SD as .apk files using flii (formerly onthefly backup), but it looks like my data/customizations are gone because reinstalling an app does not link back to its data, even though I checked both boxes under Privacy.

Last edited: