apps keep autostarting on their own, even after being killed

itsamutiny

Reaction score
i have a moto droid running 2.1, which i got as a replacement about a week and a half ago. i was playing parallel kingdom today for long enough to kill the battery, and after i got it charged (ie, it said "fully charged" when i turned on the screen), it would only stay on for a few seconds before shutting off. i eventually got my task killer open, and about half of my apps were running, including apps i never even use, like voice dialer and mp3 store. i killed all those, and then the phone shut off again, showing a completely dead battery. after i got it back on again, a ton of apps were running on their own again, and after i killed them, a bunch more came back.

what the hell? right now, it's charging and hasn't shut down, but a bunch of apps keep autostarting, even after i kill them. does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it? i'd rather not replace my phone yet again. : /

if it helps, here are the apps that are currently autostarting that shouldn't be:
com.google.android.providers.gmail
MP3 store
corporate calendar
com.google.android.apps.uploader
com.android.providers.drm
com.google.android.feedback
voice dialer
settings
alarm clock
messaging
missed call

Last edited:

Junside

Reaction score
I think some of those are mandatory. Maybe for other uses. Everyone has the same situation, even my phone had those apps running even shortly after I killed them off. I'm thinking those don't really eat your battery much, if at all makes a difference. I don't even use ATK anymore. To be concerned with trying to prolong my battery life, was unnecessary. My phone still lasts a healthy amount from morning to night at least, if I'm using it often.
I'm not sure though about your battery being weak. Isn't the battery covered under warranty? Unless you're rooted.(a few verizon reps at stores don't really care though.)

OP
I

itsamutiny

Reaction score
i think i forgot to mention that when it died at 10:30 and i plugged it in to charge, it said "fully charged" around 10:50, and as soon as i unplugged it, it said the batter was completely dead and it shut off again. it kept doing that (charging fully, then shutting off as soon as i unplugged it) until i finally got into my task killer, which listed probably 20-30 apps, some of which i've never even used. right now it's trying to charge, but it's been stuck on 5% for about twenty minutes.

Junside

Reaction score
Maybe you could try the verizon store. :/ most of them are probably using droids too. Did you try checking Battery Use under settings? I'm guessing it might not be accurate though.

OP
I

itsamutiny

Reaction score
i did check that, but it only shows the use for when your phone was unplugged, and whatever was killing my battery did it when it was plugged in. : / i just unplugged it and checked it, and it looks normal (display is using up a lot of the battery, followed by android system, then wi-fi, cell standby, etc).

i'm hoping it's just my battery that's screwed up, and not my entire phone.

Junside

Reaction score
You said this was your second droid? I hope Verizon doesn't do that crap where they send you a refurbished phone as a replacement. My old carrier(Helio) did that. I don't know what else to suggest. Try going to the store tomorrow. Or asking for help over the phone while on speaker and following directions. Lol

OP
I

itsamutiny

Reaction score
i'm going to stop at the verizon store before work and hopefully they can fix it. it appears that it actually is charging now, although it's taken half an hour to get to 10%. : /

i don't know how they handle replacement phones; i just went to a local verizon store and they produced one from the back.

xbill

Reaction score
Same issue with my phone.

I understand some apps need to run for messaging, calls, calendar, sync, but what's with MP3 store, Market, and several downloaded apps just starting on their own? I've tried ATK, ATM, and a few others to kill those tasks, but 10 min later they're running again. That doesn't seem right. Do I need to root my phone and disable those apps from running automatically?

pi.zissou

Reaction score
Yes, this erks me quite a bit. Will rooting solve this problem?

banderbe

Reaction score
You guys don't seem to understand how Android works.

It's not like a PC where you just kill a task and that's the end of it.

The apps are just activities and they can register interest in virtually any event in the system.

If I write an app that wants to know every time you push the camera button, then you can kill it all day long and yet each time you push the camera button, it will be given the chance to run again.

So, NO rooting will not solve this "problem" because your phone is working as designed.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
You guys don't seem to understand how Android works.

It's not like a PC where you just kill a task and that's the end of it.

The apps are just activities and they can register interest in virtually any event in the system.

If I write an app that wants to know every time you push the camera button, then you can kill it all day long and yet each time you push the camera button, it will be given the chance to run again.

So, NO rooting will not solve this "problem" because your phone is working as designed.

Hm, I don't know if I agree. If you delete the app (or just rename it) then it won't be able to run. Of course, that might cause you problems.

banderbe

Reaction score
Hm, I don't know if I agree. If you delete the app (or just rename it) then it won't be able to run. Of course, that might cause you problems.

You can't do either of those things unless you're rooted - and then I'm honestly not sure what would happen but either way it's circumventing the intended behavior of the phone.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

moothemagiccow

Reaction score

You can't do either of those things unless you're rooted - and then I'm honestly not sure what would happen but either way it's circumventing the intended behavior of the phone.

The intended behavior of the phone is to make phone calls, not run bloatware. I can't even use the bloatware if my phone is acting up and the screen won't turn on. It's bad enough this stuff can't be removed, it can't be stopped, either?

I can't think of any reason why skype mobile or amazon mp3 would ever need to be activated without my say so

portermac

Reaction score
Ok,i used task manager to kill everything from running for about six months. As soon as I got the phone I heard how important it was to have it. After learning that it wasn't need and that it could even cause problems,i deleted it. I'm telling you now, my droid last just as long, maybe longer. Task killers do nothing. Everything that is still running is nothing to worry about our my droid would have run better with the task killer. I know it will be hard to stop using task killer.It was for me, but its not helping. Hope this helps.