Apps closing by themselves?

Green Luthor

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
I'm having an odd problem with my HTC One M8 (Android 5.0.1, Verizon). A few apps (not all of them, but the ones that do it, it happens every time I try to launch them) will start to load for a few seconds, then just... stop. No error, the phone just goes back to the home screen (or whatever screen I was on when I launched the app). Oddly, everything was working fine just last night, and I didn't run any system updates since then (and none of the apps had updates in that time, either). Has anyone ever seen something like this before? (I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling some of the apps in question, but it hasn't made a difference so far.)

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
Have you downloaded any new apps?

OP
G

Green Luthor

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Not between the time the apps last worked and the time they stopped working, no.

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
hmm...The last time my phone acted like that it was a bad app making it act retarded. Have you considered a FDR?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is it any that are related to each other such as Amazon based apps? They had a bug in a kindle update once that caused them all to crash due to the way you sign in to all using 1 account . They'd crash when the apps tried to verify the background auto log in for syncing.

OP
G

Green Luthor

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
hmm...The last time my phone acted like that it was a bad app making it act strangely. Have you considered a FDR?
I'm trying to avoid that if possible, mostly because I use Helium to back up my apps data, and that's one of the apps that's having the problem. (I hate irony sometimes.) (Also, I had a similar issue a few weeks ago, but only with one app that starting acting screwy as soon as Verizon pushed out the Lollipop update. I had done a reset then, but it didn't work, so I just uninstalled that particular app. Now that it's happening with at least four other apps (that all have worked fine before), I'd rather not do another reset if I can avoid it. But I'll keep it in mind if nothing else ends up working.)

Is it any that are related to each other such as Amazon based apps? They had a bug in a kindle update once that caused them all to crash due to the way you sign in to all using 1 account . They'd crash when the apps tried to verify the background auto log in for syncing.
All the apps I've experienced the issue with so far were installed from the Google Play Store. I'll probably spend some time tonight testing other apps to see if any others that I don't use as often are having the same issue, and also clean out a few apps I don't need to see if any of them are causing the issue.

Thanks for all the help so far.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to avoid that if possible, mostly because I use Helium to back up my apps data, and that's one of the apps that's having the problem. (I hate irony sometimes.) (Also, I had a similar issue a few weeks ago, but only with one app that starting acting screwy as soon as Verizon pushed out the Lollipop update. I had done a reset then, but it didn't work, so I just uninstalled that particular app. Now that it's happening with at least four other apps (that all have worked fine before), I'd rather not do another reset if I can avoid it. But I'll keep it in mind if nothing else ends up working.)

All the apps I've experienced the issue with so far were installed from the Google Play Store. I'll probably spend some time tonight testing other apps to see if any others that I don't use as often are having the same issue, and also clean out a few apps I don't need to see if any of them are causing the issue.

Thanks for all the help so far.
Mine that I wrote of were all Amazon apps I got from the Play Store or were built in bloatware. Amazon Music, Cloud, Kindle, Amazon, and Amazon Apps. They instituted a policy across all their apps that signed you into your account when you opened the app, sort of like Whisper Sync does with Kindles. 1 bug in 1 app messed them all up.
After lollipop I had to uninstall a few apps that acted screwy and install them back to make the phone bug free and it also improved my battery life. I never did an fdr, cache wipe or any of that stuff. With Android fragmentation being still so prevalent there's a whole bunch of apps that still aren't Kit Kat ready much less lollipop.

Johnny18

Reaction score
I came here to make a topic about this. Right now its a couple of my apps that I use pretty frequently. I also have an htc one m8 with lollipop. It's my scoremobile, zedge, and untapped. They close instantly.

mlang64

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
I'm having an odd problem with my HTC One M8 (Android 5.0.1, Verizon). A few apps (not all of them, but the ones that do it, it happens every time I try to launch them) will start to load for a few seconds, then just... stop. No error, the phone just goes back to the home screen (or whatever screen I was on when I launched the app). Oddly, everything was working fine just last night, and I didn't run any system updates since then (and none of the apps had updates in that time, either). Has anyone ever seen something like this before? (I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling some of the apps in question, but it hasn't made a difference so far.)
It's most likely a bad update in the Android System Web app. Get rid of the update and I'll bet it will work fine. If anybody knows how to get rid of that app without rooting I would love to hear.

mlang64

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Hey it worked! Thanks a lot. I went to the app manager in the settings, scrolled right to the "all" tab, and then went down to android system WebView app and uninstalled the updates.
Glad it helped. Unfortunately you have to set manual updates now or the app will keep updating.

OP
G

Green Luthor

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
It's most likely a bad update in the Android System Web app. Get rid of the update and I'll bet it will work fine. If anybody knows how to get rid of that app without rooting I would love to hear.
Ah, that worked for me as well. Thank you so much! This was going to drive me batty. (Good thing I didn't end up trying the reset, since that would have updated again and I would be right back where I started.) (If I have to switch to manual updates... it's a small enough price to pay for actually having things work.;) )

Thank you again, you're a lifesaver!

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Hmmm. I had another thread with this same issue. So it is Web View issue. Who would've thought? I'll probably be sending people over here.

mlang64

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Hmmm. I had another thread with this same issue. So it is Web View issue. Who would've thought? I'll probably be sending people over here.
How do we get the developer to fix the app? I can't delete it.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
How do we get the developer to fix the app? I can't delete it.
Since it's a Google-developed application, I'd recommend opening up a ticket. Whenever I get the chance I'm going to see if one isn't already open.

EDIT: Actually, after some digging. Seems like mostly devs have been experiencing this issues with WebView all around: google chrome - Android System WebView crashes Android apps Tombstones are disabled on JB MR2 user builds - Stack Overflow

It does go into some intense technical jargon, but from what I see most developers that are popping up with this issue and are still waiting on Google's response. I haven't seen any consumer insight though, but once my exam is over today I'll see about doing some serious digging.