Apple's New Lawsuit: Claims Samsung Galaxy Nexus Copies Slide-to-Unlock Motion

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsunggalaxynexus-slide.jpg

Apple appears to be up to their same shenanigans, and this time it is something that has been speculated would eventually happen. Apple just filed a lawsuit in the Mannheim Regional Court, claiming that the Samsung Galaxy Nexus violates a utility model by copying their slide-to-unlock motion. Here's a quote from Electronista with specifics,

The iPhone designer alleged on Friday that the Android 4.0 leader violated a slide-to-unlock motion from iOS that was given the utility model status in Germany in 2006. Apple argued that it couldn't use the model until now as other phones, even ones years old, were too new for the claim.

What is more interesting is that if you look deeper and "read between the lines" this is a new tactic for Apple. In the past most of their lawsuits have been aimed at minor customizations rather than directly at Android functions. This time, by going directly after a primary feature of Android 4.0, Apple is making a statement against Google themselves. This is further reinforced by the fact that the Galaxy Nexus uses a completely stock version of Android rather than one "tweaked" by the OEMs. It's important not to dismiss this claims outright, because the potential is significant for Android if the court rules in favor of Apple.

Interestingly, this is the exact same court where one of Samsung's counter-claims against Apple was recently lost. There is a hearing scheduled for March 16. Speculation is that Samsung will likely base their defense around claims of "prior art" from a company called Neonode, which dealt with phones briefly in the past. This is the same strategy that Samsung used against Apple in the Netherlands in 2011.

What really makes a person scratch their head on this one is that the way the Galaxy Nexus' slide-to-unlock works is very "loose" compared to other phones in the past. Certainly, someone could swipe their fingers in a manner that is similar to what Apple is claiming, but that doesn't mean they will do it all the time.

I guess Apple's hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Source: Electronista

gmorgan056

Reaction score
Three to four months ago, Apple was getting ridiculous with these lawsuits. Now...I don't even know what level they're down too...

smokiedabong

Reaction score
They are getting so ridiculous, I bet if Apple was Google or had a search engine similar to Google they would have just removed all the links to any of their competition. That's what Google should do, remove Apple from the face of the Internet.

Abs

Reaction score
My droid 2 slides just like an iPhone. The nexus is something alltogether different. How can Apple even make a claim like this? I mean... if the pulldown notification is cool for Apple to have... why can't the Nexus have a lockscreen? Lol

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Prior art: my mom taught me this motion many years ago and I've used it every day since...

Captmilk

Reaction score
If Apple can't beat them(Android/Samsung) then they sue them.......so lame Apple might as well say: "I'm talking my ball and i'm going home"

Captmilk

Reaction score
They are getting so ridiculous, I bet if Apple was Google or had a search engine similar to Google they would have just removed all the links to any of their competition. That's what Google should do, remove Apple from the face of the Internet.

That would be Hilarious!!!

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
TBH the unlock gesture for both Honeycomb & Ice Cream Sandwich resembles WebOS's unlock more than iOS.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Wait...iOS's unlock gesture only slides right to unlock, but ICS's can go backwards for the camera too. Its not even the same thing.

alboboy10

Reaction score
Google should remove maps, Google plus, YouTube now that they own it ans everything else that they own from apple products. This is retarded.

jayman350

Reaction score
they should go back to the honeycomb way of unlocking, you could drag in any direction and it will unlock. I use that option in widgetlocker and I love it. Should be an easy enough fix, just patch it and send it out, then call Apple and tell them to go f*ck themselves and the lawyer they rode in on DancingNexus

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow Apple, really????? Who in the world comes up with these lawsuits???

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I like Apple's stuff and all, but if this is what they are turning into, I honestly wish they would just go out of business.

soulshot96

Reaction score
Apples getting rotten and needs to be thrown out with the rest of the garbage.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus