Apple May Have Resized Photos Again in Samsung Case

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
apple_samsung_comparison_illustration.jpg

It appears that Apple may have pulled some more photo doctoring shenanigans in their lawsuit against Samsung. Previously we reported that they were called out for using re-sized photos of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 to compare against the iPad, giving a false impression that the two tabs were identical in size. A new report seems to show potential evidence that they are doing the same thing with the iPhone 3G and the Samsung Galaxy SII smartphone. The pic above shows Apple's evidence picture on the left showing two identically sized devices. On the right you can see an added pic showing the actual size to scale of the SGS2, clearly indicating that the phone is noticeably larger than the iPhone.

This comes hot on the heels of the new announcement that Apple has filed a motion to bar Samsung from selling all of their smartphones and tablets throughout Europe, not just the Galaxy Tab 10.1. This kind of makes you wonder if we really are seeing some sort of minor "Apple-picture-gate." So, I have added a poll to this thread asking if you think someone within Apple intentionally doctored these pics in order to improve their chances with the lawsuit, or not. Without starting a flame-war... sound off your perspective and make your voice heard by clicking on the poll. If someone voices their ideas, remember the forum rules of no personal attacks or flames. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Source: SlashGear

Last edited:

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just saw this on Phandroid. Apple is getting ridiculous with all of these suites. I'm starting to think Erick Schmidt's words were true. Apple needs more innovation instead of trying to bully everyone in court.

Beardface

Reaction score
Apple has their priorities in the absolute wrong place.

They're now photoshopping pictures they are using as "evidence" to bully Samsung out of the smartphone market through frivolous and potentially illegal lawsuits instead of trying to make their own product better. Honestly, I really hope Google, HTC, Samsung, LG, and Sony/Ericsson team up and file a massive cease and desist order and go after Apple really nastily. You can't imagine Google is too happy with Apple trying to literally kill off one of their manufacturers throughout Europe. Considering that Google now owns the patents that Apple is violating throughout their entire product line through smartphones and computers, Apple really needs to think long and hard in regards to whether they want to go down this road. If they don't back off, I'll be happy as a clam when Google literally shuts them down if/when they want to flex their muscles over their patents that Apple is violating.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Apple needs to go screw themselves, they're really ticking me off.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
No matter how much people hate Apple and will use that to influence their opinion, I would put almost any amount of money down that apple had nothing to do with this. This is the work of a child trying to stir the pot. But whatever everyone is going to believe every bad thing said about Apple anyway.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

gmorgan056

Reaction score
Can we sue apple for suing everyone else? They're preventing further innovation from happening with these lawsuits.

Houdiniact

Reaction score
Apple is freaking ridiculous. How many shapes can you make a damn smartphone in the first place. You shouldn't be able to patent certain things and you should be forced to innovate in specific ideas that will differentiate you from everyone else. The shape of a cell phone is an accepted standard it should not be a patentable enforceable thing.

Houdiniact

Reaction score
I seriously think this is only going to hurt apple in the long run. The people that were on the fence about apple definitely will get pushed off and they only look like the bad guy now. The 3gs or whatever is old news why the heck don't they focus on new products and move the hell on.

Beardface

Reaction score
No matter how much people hate Apple and will use that to influence their opinion, I would put almost any amount of money down that apple had nothing to do with this. This is the work of a child trying to stir the pot. But whatever everyone is going to believe every bad thing said about Apple anyway.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

No, I'm not buying it. Apple is way too sue happy right now to NOT think this was them. Every other week we're reading about some new lawsuit that Apple has filed against another company to halt sales of their products. This is absolute crap, and it needs to stop. They're wasting everyone's time, and not only that, but they're wasting the taxpayers money in the countries they are filing these claims in.

The only reason they are continuing this crap is because they know they are overflowing with money and can just sue the crap out of everyone else to the point where they bankrupt the competition and force them out of the market. And in the meantime, while we're waiting for that day, they are trying to force the competition to pour money into these frivolous lawsuits, and in such, completely stifle competitive growth in the market so that Apple can come out with the iPhone 5 and look like the end all be all of awesomeness with hardware and software that would have been considered lower upper-tier to mid-tier had growth not been cut off at the knees.

They are going about a way right now that is completely contrary to the American Values that this country was founded on. You want to be the best, make the best. Don't come out with something first and then bully every other newcomer to the market with lawsuits they can't afford. Apple is dead wrong in this situation, and it reeks of desperation. Unfortunately, with the money they have, it will probably win out in the end, and the only losers will be us, the consumers, who will have to deal with their cookie cutter, bland, mind numbingly simple devices that even a blind chimp with Parkinson's could operate.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Apple is f'ing ridiculous. How many shapes can you make a damn smartphone in the first place. You shouldn't be able to patent certain things and you should be forced to innovate in specific ideas that will differentiate you from everyone else. The shape of a cell phone is an accepted standard it should not be a patentable enforceable thing.

So is that Apples fault or the patent system's fault? I would say if Apple was approved of the patents they have every right to defend them. So in the end everyone should hate the patent system and not Steve Jobs and Apple.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
1) Does anyone really think that Apple is behind this "doctoring"? Seriously?
2) If they granted a patent, it's their fault for protecting it, rather then the company who used the patent without permission?

People just need a reason to be mad at Apple I guess...

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

This is one of those things you can't defend Apple in. I love Apple products, nothing wrong with them in my book. I still use my iPod Touch every day and I love it but this is ridiculous. The Galaxt 10.1 tab incident could have been done by accident (even though they photoshopped the 16:10 ratio to 4:3 to match the iPad...), two times isn't an accident. You don't photoshop things more than once to make one device look like another by accident.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is one of those things you can't defend Apple in. I love Apple products, nothing wrong with them in my book. I still use my iPod Touch every day and I love it but this is ridiculous. The Galaxt 10.1 tab incident could have been done by accident (even though they photoshopped the 16:10 ratio to 4:3 to match the iPad...), two times isn't an accident. You don't photoshop things more than once to make one device look like another by accident.

You honestly believe Apple would do something so completely obvious that a 4 year old could catch? This is so completely over the top that its ridiculous people are buying it and taking it as Gospel.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

You act as if it was done on two separate occasions...its most probably the same moron who did this without Apple's knowledge for the same case. I find it hard to believe that a company would so blatantly risk something like this, especially a company like Apple.

BlacknTan

Reaction score
I don't like apple. I hate how sue happy they are. I also think the pictures were intentionally doctored.

However, looking at the pics, it IS rather disturbing how similar the two devices look. I realize that there is a limit to how different you can make one phone from another. But looking at these phones from the front, what was Samsung thinking? Their phone looks like a scaled up iphone, with different buttons on the bottom and Samsung at the top.