Apple Legal Rampage; Threatens GetJar over "App Store"; Files 2nd Infringement vs HTC

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Apple's App Store and a little trademark history | TechRepublic

Salesforce.com Announces AppStore Vision and Monetization Strategy for the AppExchange Marketplace - salesforce.com

Ok, Apple was granted the trademark, but that term was in use before Apple. If the other folks woulda followed up, maybe we wouldnt be having this lawsuit from Apple.

I wonder of ppl familiar with Salesforce and Sage Network gets confused with the Apple App store and think it has Salesforce and Sage Network stuff in it..

And the word app has been around before the Appstore and was popular before the Appstore. Portable Apps....a great site for lightweight apps....has been around since 2004...

Apple didnt create the world...yea protect your stuff....but dont be anal about it.

UNC

Reaction score
So what I want to know is of Apple successfully kills Android...does that mean we will all have phones that get zero support and no big fixes? Are we forced to use a device that is limited in some way from what are use to? Who will Apple try to kill next? BTW I have 2 MAC computers and am not biased against Apple, but I think thier mobile devices are very limited and I think they are a little sue crazy right now.

sent from my inc2

Apple isn't trying to "kill Android", they are trying to stop Samsung most specifically from stealing their patents and Amazon from stealing their Trademark. Android itself calls the "Market" the "Market". So there is no infringement there.

The only way this kills Android is if the per device settlements equal more than the licensing fees of WinMo7 (or 8).

Right now HTC sends MS $10-15 for EVERY Android phone they sell. (including yours) If it goes up to $30-50 due to patent infringement (Apple and Oracle have major cases pending), it will be cheaper for them to just use WinMo7.

Again, these are foreign corporations stealing American corporations protected assets and no-one finds fault with that? Instead the blame is laid on MS and Apple, two of the richest corporations in the World that actually pay our nation's taxes...... LOL. Don't want to hear any of you guys complain about outsourcing!

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't start with the political BS. It's not about US companies vs Foreign companies. It's about Apple's patents and suing the largest android manufacturers.

jseah

Reaction score
Again, these are foreign corporations stealing American corporations protected assets and no-one finds fault with that? Instead the blame is laid on MS and Apple, two of the richest corporations in the World that actually pay our nation's taxes...... LOL. Don't want to hear any of you guys complain about outsourcing!

And you're ok with American corporations stealing a foreign corporation's protected assets? After all, Apple has had patent infringement lawsuits filed against them by foreign corporations (Nokia is one of them).

UNC

Reaction score

And you're ok with American corporations stealing a foreign corporation's protected assets? After all, Apple has had patent infringement lawsuits filed against them by foreign corporations (Nokia is one of them).

No, but everyone acts like its such an awful thing when Apple sues anyone, its totally backwards that they catch so much flak. I don't see anyone saying how shady Nokia or MS is for suing.. its always Apple...

Just because I think its beyond stupid to support a foreign corp when they are stealing our tax dollars doesn't mean I don't think they should be allowed to be sued for infringement... But I don't see a lot of people backing Apple saying Nokia sues too much blah blah blah....

kptphalkon

Reaction score

No, but everyone acts like its such an awful thing when Apple sues anyone, its totally backwards that they catch so much flak. I don't see anyone saying how shady Nokia or MS is for suing.. its always Apple...

Just because I think its beyond stupid to support a foreign corp when they are stealing our tax dollars doesn't mean I don't think they should be allowed to be sued for infringement... But I don't see a lot of people backing Apple saying Nokia sues too much blah blah blah....

i dont care about how much [insert company here]'s icon looks like apples icon. and sueing about the form factor of a piece of hardware is like trying to patent the rectangle and then sueing every kindergartener who learns to draw one.Better yet they should patent the whole damn universe, and then take it on in a lawsuit for infringing on their idea.

michaeldeanmcclammy

Reaction score
First, I will say that an android forum is a terrible place to post an apple news related post. Positive or negative. Simply because everyone on this forum uses android. I'm not saying you didn't own apple products before but the reason you are here is because you have an android device and a good chance you prefer it. However I will agree with all of the previous posts. I refuse to buy apple products. Mostly because of the fact that when I had an iPod I had to drive 45 minutes to an apple store to fix a problem, stand in line at said store for another 30 minutes for a "genius." All while being harassed by employees checking in to see if I had made an appointment. All while watching the same damn commercial on 25+ computer monitors and TV's the whole time. But this whole I'm apple I'm suing everyone over stupid little sh*t so I don't have competition is the straw that broke the camel's back. Yes apple does make great hardware and software. However that doesn't give you the right to become so self involved that you end up saying that everyone is either copying you or stealing from you. I'm so sick of it. It seems that this type of news is all that on the forums. I honestly wish that someone would just rise up and put apple in it's place with a biblicalesque (think i just made that word up) smite. Not so that I didn't hear about apple becoming bankrupt as a company. Just knock them down a peg or two off their high horse and come back to reality that what they are doing is wrong and they are losing customers and a fan base.
whhoooaaaaa. hold yourself in check on that first part there buddy. this is a perfect place to let people know what apple is doing. if you are here then you have an android based phone. and need to know what is going on. we have a right to know and what better place than where we all gather. i too will never own an apple product. but how can you persuade people not to buy if they dont know.

AnotherDroidUser

Reaction score
Remember when Appple sued M$ over the first Windoze?

That.

Again.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

michaeldeanmcclammy

Reaction score
Nobody should ever sue to protect what they've spent hundreds of millions of dollars developing and marketing.... It's not right.....

UNC,

Absolutely Apple or any other company should takes steps to protect what is legally theirs. I think in the case of this thread, the OP made decent points about this going beyond what is legally prudent, although it appears from previous suits the matter is not legally settled.

By this I mean, take me for example. I do not really have much of an opinion on Apple products, as my Droid phone was my first. When I go into our only real supplier of phone goodies,the local Walmart, all they carry is Iphone/Pad/Pod goodies. And there are tons of them. I usually look them over and actually think it would be so much easier to just switch to Apple, as I do love my accessories. I am sure their phones would do what I ask of a phone, by and large.

But, I am aware of all the things that Apple has been doing regarding lawsuits, and it does tend to shade me a bit. For the average consumer much of this is not known or obvious, but for me it tends to make me pause and ask at what point does it become silly and counter productive to their overall financial picture and what they spend on actually making a better product. App Store, Application Store? Is it about using the term App or only in conjuction with Store? In my unlegal eyes, application is a term much like software. Some pretty fine lines here.

And also in my case, the work that I do is technically copyrighted (land surveying and plat preparation). I could spend lots of hours trying to keep folks from making copies of my plats, which are recorded at our courthouse. And play that game, trying to control every aspect of my final product. But, I made the calulations and decided that the amount of ill will that would be heaped on possible clients would not only be a waste of my time, but could actually produce less revenue in the long run. I know of one other Land Surveyor who plays this game, and clients tell me they do not want to use him for anything because he is so difficult to deal with.

So back to the op, I think it is more than sueing at every possible turn because it is the right thing to do, but evaluating what is the right thing to do. And not just the legal system, but evaluating the marketing side. I think the op was pretty clear about this.

Craig

If Lucas can copyright "Droid" why can't Apple copyright "app store"? I mean all tissues are called "Kleenex" informally but that doesn't mean Wal mart can sell equate brand "Kleenex" they sell tissue.... Post it notes and white out are the same thing.

Just admit that Android is the pirate of OS's, stolen patents from MS, Apple and Oracle!!! T
HTC is more than happy to pay MS $10-15 per Android device sold because of infringed patents, I'm sure Apple rightly feels they are owed as well. Samsung and HTC are foreign corporations stealing from an American brand and you guys are all ok with that. Sad.
pssst. just alittle note. if it is so sad then why are you here? prolly cause you have an android phone also. so there for you must be okay with it too. now thats sad

UNC

Reaction score
UNC,

Absolutely Apple or any other company should takes steps to protect what is legally theirs. I think in the case of this thread, the OP made decent points about this going beyond what is legally prudent, although it appears from previous suits the matter is not legally settled.

By this I mean, take me for example. I do not really have much of an opinion on Apple products, as my Droid phone was my first. When I go into our only real supplier of phone goodies,the local Walmart, all they carry is Iphone/Pad/Pod goodies. And there are tons of them. I usually look them over and actually think it would be so much easier to just switch to Apple, as I do love my accessories. I am sure their phones would do what I ask of a phone, by and large.

But, I am aware of all the things that Apple has been doing regarding lawsuits, and it does tend to shade me a bit. For the average consumer much of this is not known or obvious, but for me it tends to make me pause and ask at what point does it become silly and counter productive to their overall financial picture and what they spend on actually making a better product. App Store, Application Store? Is it about using the term App or only in conjuction with Store? In my unlegal eyes, application is a term much like software. Some pretty fine lines here.

And also in my case, the work that I do is technically copyrighted (land surveying and plat preparation). I could spend lots of hours trying to keep folks from making copies of my plats, which are recorded at our courthouse. And play that game, trying to control every aspect of my final product. But, I made the calulations and decided that the amount of ill will that would be heaped on possible clients would not only be a waste of my time, but could actually produce less revenue in the long run. I know of one other Land Surveyor who plays this game, and clients tell me they do not want to use him for anything because he is so difficult to deal with.

So back to the op, I think it is more than sueing at every possible turn because it is the right thing to do, but evaluating what is the right thing to do. And not just the legal system, but evaluating the marketing side. I think the op was pretty clear about this.

Craig

If Lucas can copyright "Droid" why can't Apple copyright "app store"? I mean all tissues are called "Kleenex" informally but that doesn't mean Wal mart can sell equate brand "Kleenex" they sell tissue.... Post it notes and white out are the same thing.

Just admit that Android is the pirate of OS's, stolen patents from MS, Apple and Oracle!!! T
HTC is more than happy to pay MS $10-15 per Android device sold because of infringed patents, I'm sure Apple rightly feels they are owed as well. Samsung and HTC are foreign corporations stealing from an American brand and you guys are all ok with that. Sad.
pssst. just alittle note. if it is so sad then why are you here? prolly cause you have an android phone also. so there for you must be okay with it too. now thats sad

I've got a Motorola phone...

debdroid1a

Reaction score

i dont care about how much [insert company here]'s icon looks like apples icon. and sueing about the form factor of a piece of hardware is like trying to patent the rectangle and then sueing every kindergartener who learns to draw one.Better yet they should patent the whole damn universe, and then take it on in a lawsuit for infringing on their idea.

Heres a Tweet I got recently from Engadget:

Apple goes patent application crazy with 14 über dull filings, hinge manufacturers tremble with fear http://engt.co/n2OclF

Sent from my Droid1 using DroidForums