App to control alerts by time of day?

jbsangel

Reaction score
Another vote for Timeriffic.

What you want to accomplish, doing it on an account by account basis or even application by application basis, I believe is not possible on Android. I have been told this by every developer I've emailed to ask.

I just wanted to be able to set my phone on vibrate, and nothing would ever make noise, and everything would vibrate, regardless of if I had enabled the vibrate checkbox for the individual application. So I started emailing all the different developers to find if this is possible. They all said no.

Apps like gmail, email, calendar, messaging, and others, have their own settings for vibrate and ringtone, and evidently these setting can not be overridden or access by other apps. So if your mail is set to make a noise and vibrate, it will make a noise and vibrate and no profile app can change this. What they can do is mute sound, but they can't make the app actually not send a sound (it sends a sound, you just don't hear it because the volume is muted) and they can't make it vibrate if it isn't set to. They can however make it not vibrate if it is set to.

i use Timerrific to mute my notifications at night and stop all vibrating notifications, but leave my ringer on, just at a low volume. It can't do notifications based on contacts at this time, but Locale can. I don't care for that feature, hence I use Timerrific and like it just fine.

I hope that makes sense, i'm not doing the best job explaining it. I understand it, but I don't code for these devcies, so explaining it isn't my best skill.

OP
N

nailerdog

Reaction score
I could probably be happy with turning all mail off by time of day and also being able to control phone and text on seperate controls.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Locale does that stuff as well as Timerrific. If you just want it based on time, then go with Timeriffic (since it is free). I like Locale, because it can change settings based on dock state. I do not go to bed at the same time every night, not even close. But I do put my Droid in the dock every night when I get in bed.

So with Locale, I have my phone silenced when I get in bed (no matter what time that occurs). Also, I have certain callers (like my parents) set to ring through no matter what, so they can get ahold of me in the middle of the night if necessary, but I don't have to worry about my friends waking me up for no reason.

Can Locale turn off email notifications? I had it when it was free (lost it during a reset) and although I had it set the call to Vibrate when I was in church, it gave a loud DRRROOOOIIIIDDD when I got an email. I don't really want to spend $9.95 in any case, but I'm curious.

kiwiguy

Reaction score
Is there a way to have the phone settings change by appointments on the calendar? I was hoping to have the phone go to vibrate if I have a meeting or certain other appointments.

Check out the "VIBRATE DURING MEETINGS" app. Yes - you have to fork out $3.00 for it , but since I bought it a month ago it has given me complete piece of mind that whenever I am in a meeting (or movie or show or whatever else is on my calendar) my phone will automatically go to either vibrate or silent and then automatically return to normal immediately afterwards. Probably one of my favorite apps as I never have to think about it!

Edit : I forgot another nice feature that it has is that you can set it to send an automatic SMS with a predefined msg (eg I can not take your call right now; will call you back presently) if you get a call during a meeting.

Edit 2: Supposedly another app "Setting Profiles" does something similar - but you can customize it to only act based on specified keywords in description (like 'meeting' or 'call')

Last edited:

towerdriver

Reaction score
Thanks, that for all the information, it helped alot. I will definitely check out the apps that were mentioned.