[APP] KindleFree, Easily Install 3rd Party Launcher and Google Play to Kindle Fire HD

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
KindleFree.jpg

So this APP is SICK! Anyone who has owned a Kindle Fire of any kind knows that Amazon is completely and utterly dedicated to keeping you from hacking your device in any way. I can remember Rooting my Kindle Fire OG to wake up and find that Amazon had auto pushed an update which killed my Root and reset everything to its prerooted state. I know annoying right. At release Amazon did announce that their new Kindle Fire HD would be unhackable... reality check... it was hacked! With Root access you can do awesome things. The first thing that everyone wants to do is get rid of that TACKY Amazon carousel. The easiest way to do this is to replace the Amazon launcher with a third party launcher. The next thing everyone wants to do after rooting is install the Google Play Store since most of us have already bought several apps there and we don't want to rebuy those apps in the Amazon app store. The first thing folks want to do requires that the second thing be done first, but the second thing requires you to mess around with the system apps which can be risky. This is where the KindleFree app comes in! Well known developer "Stericson" makes the task of adding a custom launcher and google as easy as clicking a button! It does a few other things as well and the app is just overall pretty sweet. Be sure to grab it for your Kindle Fire HD via the Play link below!

Op with link here: KindleFree (Free your kindle) - xda-developers

PlayStore (Pro, Same as Free but supports developer)
PlayStore (FREE)

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I'm confused. You have an app here that allows you to install the Google Play Store on a Kindle. But the links to get this program.... point to the Google Play Store.

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Added xda thread with link.

jayman350

Reaction score
seems like a nice clean option compared to the hoops i had to jump through to do this on my KF. I have since ditched the amazon ui and flash between modded kf ui and jb roms.

RevJHB

Reaction score
Are Kindle Books not available after applying this app?

Are Kindle Books not available after applying this app? I thought I read that after KindleFree you are not able to access Kindle Books. Is that true?