Anyway to rename an app?

velocity92c

Reaction score
For example, I want to track data usage without the person knowing. Is there any way to rename an app in the app tray and market to make it appear as something else? That's just one example, I would love to rename many apps. Thanks!

aj8600

Reaction score
In adw you can change the shortcut app name. I'm not sure if you can change the actual app name tho... not sure if that helps

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know you can change the icons but I'm not sure that you can change the name that is displayed in the manage applications or the name of the apk.

OP
V

velocity92c

Reaction score
Is it possible to rename it in Launcher Pro? I don't use ADW and neither do the folks on my plan.

Beka27

Reaction score
Lol... Are you trying to stalk their data usage? If you are the primary on the account you can just view their usage on vzw.com...

(from Beka's DX)

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
Is it possible to rename it in Launcher Pro? I don't use ADW and neither do the folks on my plan.

Yes, shortcuts can be renamed in Launcher Pro.

This is different from going to the app drawer, long pressing and placing it on a home page. Instead you have to long press on a blank spot on the home page, choose Shortcut, and Applications. It will offer you a chance to change the name before it places the icon.

As far as I know there is no stock way to rename apps that are in the app drawer. It may be possible if you root. And maybe not. Depends on whether the icon takes it's name from the app file name, in which case simply renaming the app may work.