Anyone that HAD data dropping issues that were actally FIXED by updates?

bk1242

Reaction score
I had unbearable data drops before updating to 901 which fixed the problem for me almost entirely. After updating to 902 I had a lot of drops for the first day or two but after pulling the battery the problem seems to have gone away

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

KL1

Reaction score
902 is definitely better for data drops.
I too have had my Bionic since day 1. I had horrible drops to where mist if the time I had no signal.
I went the 7.893 route and was still so frustrated that I quit messing with it and learned to live with it.
I got back on update path and got to 902 and since then have had only a few drops.
I dint live in the best 4g area but 90%of the time I get 4g. 3g is quick to take over and I have no more complaints.
At this point I think its verizon and not Motorola.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm one of those who never had the data drop.

That being said, I was getting a series of "Ability to check updates not available at this time" messages. When that's happened in the past I removed the battery and sim card, replaced the battery and powered up. Then I powered down, removed the battery, replaced the sim card (& battery) and powered up again. Well, one time I put the sim card in backwards and fried it. All I could get was 3G. I took it to a Verizon store, told them what I did and what happened, and they swapped it with a new sim card for free. 4G came back quickly.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I got my Bionic about 6 weeks after they came out. I had a few drop and reconnect issues within the first 2 weeks or so. Since not one single issue. I am still on .886. I have never had a push update, and I have never had anything other than the not available message when I check for system updates.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got my Bionic about 6 weeks after they came out. I had a few drop and reconnect issues within the first 2 weeks or so. Since not one single issue. I am still on .886. I have never had a push update, and I have never had anything other than the not available message when I check for system updates.

If you aren't at least getting a "You're device is up to date!" message, then it's unlikely you'll be getting an OTA update. This is because you're not connecting correctly to the server. If it said that you're up to date then it's simply the fact that you're not scheduled to get it yet.

You have 3 options...

1) Remove battery and sim card. Then replace battery only and power up. Power down, remove battery, replace sim card (& battery) and power up. Be sure to put the sim card in correctly (see Post #18). Take a look at https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/70990/~/droid-bionic---sim-card-swapping where it says "In the event you remove your SIM and replace with another SIM card, you may experience a disruption in certain services like OTA (Over The Air) updates and social networking services."

2) Do a Factory Reset. Many people have done this and gotten the update right away.

3) Install the update manually. There are several threads on where to get the file and how to install it.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
If you aren't at least getting a "You're device is up to date!" message, then it's unlikely you'll be getting an OTA update. This is because you're not connecting correctly to the server. If it said that you're up to date then it's simply the fact that you're not scheduled to get it yet.

You have 3 options...

1) Remove battery and sim card. Then replace battery only and power up. Power down, remove battery, replace sim card (& battery) and power up. Be sure to put the sim card in correctly (see Post #18). Take a look at https://motorola-global-portal.cust...a_id/70990/~/droid-bionic---sim-card-swapping where it says "In the event you remove your SIM and replace with another SIM card, you may experience a disruption in certain services like OTA (Over The Air) updates and social networking services."

2) Do a Factory Reset. Many people have done this and gotten the update right away.

3) Install the update manually. There are several threads on where to get the file and how to install it.

I am getting "Your Device is Up to Date" message, I just misquoted it in my post. My point is, if I have no issues, why should I try to fix what is not broke? As I understand some have had several updates pushed to them, but I have had none. But if the update is finally pushed to me, should I run from it, because nothing is broke?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am getting "Your Device is Up to Date" message, I just misquoted it in my post. My point is, if I have no issues, why should I try to fix what is not broke? As I understand some have had several updates pushed to them, but I have had none. But if the update is finally pushed to me, should I run from it, because nothing is broke?

OK, if you're getting that then you're fine. Of course, OTA updates can load in the background so you'd get an option to install (rather than saying an update is available) when the phone comes up from sleep.

Suuperflie

Reaction score
OK, if you're getting that then you're fine. Of course, OTA updates can load in the background so you'd get an option to install (rather than saying an update is available) when the phone comes up from sleep.

Something is wrong of he's still on .886. Everyone should at least be on .893. He's two updates behind.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Something is wrong of he's still on .886. Everyone should at least be on .893. He's two updates behind.

He said, "My point is, if I have no issues, why should I try to fix what is not broke?" so he's not interested in updating.

don_droid

Reaction score
I got a replacement right before. 902 came out, that and the. 902 fixed most of problems. Things have been good lately.

B

bens42608

I've had a couple data drops before but since the update I forgot what it' even like for 4g to go out. Everything literally runs perfect on my bionic

Reaction score
902 for me has actually sped up the recovery of 3g. I still get drops but the recovery is faster. My gf's iphone on the same verizon network still doesn't lose its signal in the exact same place I drop. But I must admit... I wanted to smash my phone real bad when I had the 800 updates that didn't work. Now its tolerable.

Stevet86

Reaction score
.902 is a world of difference. All of my data problems are pretty much non existent. I never installed .901, went right to .902 OTA

gobi42

Reaction score
well i have been on 893 902 and 901 and 893 and 902 sucked always droped data and wouldn't get it back without a reboot or aiplane toggle however my phone running 901 sick fast and almost zero data drops it makes my phone perform the way it should. just my 2 cents