anyone running advanace task killer on Bionic??

fucco

Reaction score
I had major battery issues on my bionic with extended battery. I had the ext battery swapped 2 days ago and yesterday the phone. Unfortunately, after a full 100% turned off charge i am getting the same 7 hours of useage from the phone. I am in 3g area with 4g shut off. I also have wifi and bluetooth off. When i had the phone swapped at verizon they told me to get advanced task killer. I used to have it back in the day but got rid of it over a year ago. Is it needed with ginger bread??? They downloaded it last night to my new bionic. Should I remove it?

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Umm, no. It's my understanding that android devices are better without. I get about 7 hours on just better than medium use now. Which is acceptable to me running 4G 90% of the time.

jstwondrng

Reaction score
Umm, no. It's my understanding that android devices are better without. I get about 7 hours on just better than medium use now. Which is acceptable to me running 4G 90% of the time.

That is correct! I went to a Verizon Wireless store and one of the sales reps actually removed it from my phone. I thought it was still a necessary tool, but he said it can do more harm than good.

sonicxtacy02

Reaction score
I'm a software developer, so i can appreciate ALL forms of software that make it to completion, but i sure do wish Advanced Task Killer would just die.. it'd sure save alot of people trouble.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
It hasn't been needed since Froyo. The OS's have a built in task killer now. By having ATK installed and manually killing apps, you are wasting more battery. This is because the apps will start back up in the background over and over as you kill them

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
ADK is an app the a person decides whether or not they want to use. I use it. Sometimes, especially with new apps, that freeze, ADK stops them from running and and is a lot easier than going into manage apps, find the app and doing a force close, or rebooting. Like I said, it's a personal decision everyone should make on their own. I, myself, find it very handy. Necessary? No .. but useful for me.

powerwagon

Reaction score
Try it and see if it helps or not...certainly can't hurt. You will get a lot of people on here that just repeat what they have heard over and over and over again without actually trying for themselves. Yes, Android is based on Linux and Yes, Android is supposed to properly manage its apps/memory. That being said, up until gingerbread, Android sucked at managing its own apps/memory. Both my OG Droid and Evo stuttered and slowed down over time...a quick "kill all" using the task manager would clear it up and back to smooth in no time. I don't really see that with the Bionic, although I have the built in task manager set up to kill just about anything after a certain time. Bottom line, don't listen to everyone's repeats...test it for yourself...won't hurt a thing and you'll learn something for yourself from experience vs. 3rd party.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Try it and see if it helps or not...certainly can't hurt. You will get a lot of people on here that just repeat what they have heard over and over and over again without actually trying for themselves. Yes, Android is based on Linux and Yes, Android is supposed to properly manage its apps/memory. That being said, up until gingerbread, Android sucked at managing its own apps/memory. Both my OG Droid and Evo stuttered and slowed down over time...a quick "kill all" using the task manager would clear it up and back to smooth in no time. I don't really see that with the Bionic, although I have the built in task manager set up to kill just about anything after a certain time. Bottom line, don't listen to everyone's repeats...test it for yourself...won't hurt a thing and you'll learn something for yourself from experience vs. 3rd party.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/65483-task-killers-answer-google-developers.html

Read that. Its a fact that auto-killing apps does more harm than good.

Sent from my DROIDX

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
U don't need ATK on Gingerbread, it manages tasks way better than Froyo. Get rid of it, ur just killing ur battery faster.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

powerwagon

Reaction score
Have you ever tried them, or are you just proving my point that you read an article and spread that new found knowledge on the internet as fact?? If this were "fact" as you call it, why would Motorola include the manager on their phone as stock? Did I just dream that my phone was stuttering and cleared up after killing all of my apps and freeing up memory? As I stated to the OP in my last post, don't listen to the garbage about it being baaaad for your phone. Try it, if it doesn't work for your then delete...simple as that. Good luck!

powerwagon

Reaction score
I should have stated...try the stock manager...no need to install aftermarket TK.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
That google message about ATK, first off is misleading. It explains how the android system handles app management and why THEY think you shouldn't use it. For some people, it is a handy tool. I have used since D1 and with the new version, it doesn't close all apps. If it works for you, use it. If you find its using more battery than you want it to, than don't .. there have been so many threads about this it's like beating a dead horse that's already been, buried, reincarnated into a unicorn than beating it to death again ..