Anyone having Exchange Active Sync problems?

nateccnn

Reaction score
I set up Exchange Active Sync right away on Wednesday when I got the phone. Everything worked flawlessly. Email, Contacts and Calendar all synced.

Then on Friday I noticed that my Contacts were synced but I keep getting an error saying the Contacts sync failed to connect to server. Yet all the contacts are there.

On Saturday I noticed that I can't send email through Exchange that has a file attachement in it. I get an error saying Unable to Send Mail and the offending mail sits in my outbox.

I spent the morning changing settings on the server. I tried all three settings for SSL Certificates...ignore, accept and require. Nothing changed. I changed all the settings in the Organization section of Exchange Admin to allow or unallow non-provisional devices...blah blah blah. Nothing changed.

Our certificate is home grown but the Account Settings seems to have no problem with it during setup. And as I said...all the contacts sync up with the server. But the next time it syncs it fails to connect.

I have done a factory data reset on the phone. Did this before and after all the changes to the server I mentioned.

I see a lot of notes in old forum posts (around June 2010?) related to similar problems with Exchange Active Sync with other phones running 2.1 Android. But all those problems were resolved when 2.2.1 was released. Something makes me think we got a bad peice of code on some of our phones.

Anyone else? Maybe you think it is working fine since the contacts and mail seem to flow...but maybe you get the annoying message in the notifications bar saying sync error. Maybe you can send mail, but not send when it has an attachement? Anyone?

Nate

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Give Touchdown a try....

OP
N

nateccnn

Reaction score
I just stumbled upon some more data related to the contacts syncing. Every time I have installed the Exchange account I have opted to link the contacts between my Google account, Facebook account and Exchange account, per the Sense recommendations. This last time I set it up I opted to not link any of the accounts. The Contacts are now syncing without any errors. Must be one of those other servers has a bad security certificate. Nah...that's just plain speculation.

Now to figure out the file attachement problem when sending mail.

Nate

Dreamin

Reaction score
My problems here. WAAY better than my former Droid X.

Simplistic suggestion, but have you checked the mailbox settings under "Send & Receive" (on the TB)?

OP
N

nateccnn

Reaction score
My problems here. WAAY better than my former Droid X.

Simplistic suggestion, but have you checked the mailbox settings under "Send & Receive" (on the TB)?

Yup. Send doesn't have a whole lot of options but receive has allow attachement set to always and size set to under 2mb. Not that it matters since my problem is with send.

Nate

OP
N

nateccnn

Reaction score
Ok...I can take a hint. It looks like I am the only one experiencing this problem. New tbolt at Vz store had exact same error. Therefore...ergo...I must be the dumbest IT guy on the planet. Back to working on the server. I must have inadvertently screwed up a setting in Exchange. I know I could send email attachments last week with my OG Droid though. Weird...but possible.

I love this tbolt though. So far, every problem I have found has been my fault and not the phone or Vz.

Nate

OP
N

nateccnn

Reaction score
So...if anyone else has this problem (can't send file attachments)...go to Exchange Server (I'm running 2007..settings on other version are slightly different), server settings, find the send hub. Click on it then look for the Exchange Active Sync tab and click it. Check the Ignore Client Certificates. This may only apply to those who run self generated SSL certs on thier Exchange Server...cheap bastards. LOL

Nate

orgswami

Reaction score
I'm having almost the exact same problem. I've noticed it seems to work okay with the update schedule set to 15 or 30 minutes. If I change it to push it breaks within 12 hours.

I posted a thread about it here

Please let me know if this applies to you, and if you were able to resolve it. I'm interested in digging for as long as it takes to get a fix, mainly because this issue infuriates me :p

Last edited:

rsmiff

Reaction score
Hope I'm not too late to the party here but I have been having activesync issues. Just last Thursday I noticed my TBolt had stopped receiving emails from my Exchange server around 1 PM. I let it go as I was home and could get to OWA. Friday I rebooted my Exchange server but still no go. When I looked at the sync settings my contacts and calendar were syncing fine it was only the email that failed with an "unknown error on the server". I removed and re-added my Exchange account on my TBolt and everything was fine...until today, 4/11/11. It stopped syncing mail again at 2 PM. Same sync issues. I removed and re-added the account and everything is fine again. Until...when? This is an issue.

orgswami

Reaction score
rsmiff,
Were you able to access OWA from your phone? The strangest part I've noticed is once I start having issues, I can't access OWA, or ping (using a ping app) our Exchange servers IP address...

We may not be having to same issues though, the error I get is 'Unable to connect to the Exchange server'. Which I know isn't a server issue, seeing as it's up for everyone else.

rsmiff

Reaction score
When and if it occurs again I will try. I believe it will work though. The problem is definitely not on the Exchange server.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Like I posted before, Get Touchdown and be done with your problems.

orgswami

Reaction score
Like I posted before, Get Touchdown and be done with your problems.

Thanks for the input. Just 2 things though: I tried K9 and it had the same connection problems, so if the other posters are having the same issue as me then Touchdown won't fix it. As the OP mentioned to you before, we're not interested in bandaids. Hopefully some people made enough noise over the issue that some fixes went into 2.3

rsmiff

Reaction score
I'm not paying $20 for Touchdown, tried it previously and didn't like it anyway, to supplant a built-in application that should work for free.