Anyone have an LG G watch?

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Really? Maybe it's just my store? Damn... maybe I should buy em all and sell em on Ebay?!? :D

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I would. Premium retailer said theirs are 199.99 & they'd have to order it, so it'd be like 14-21 days. Guess I might be ordering mine...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Welp. I ordered one. Free overnight shipping, so it souks be here Saturday since I ordered after 4. Was hoping they'd have a "pick up in store" option.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I think you're going to like it.

Almost a full 24 hours in, and so far I like it.
- It was really nice to get home and just leave my phone in the (centrally located) kitchen when I walked in. My phone sat there most of the night as I could do much of what I did last night from the watch. All Texting and Hangouting. I was all "Man, I wish more people would text me!!!" hehehe
- The vibration IS pretty weak but I am starting to get used to it and I notice it better now.
- Installed a FIND MY PHONE app which is always an issue in my house. "Honey, have you seen my phone?" NO MORE! Speak, click, and the phone goes crazy.
- It took some time for me to figure out HOW to launch apps. I almost broke down and installed MINI LAUNCHER but I refused to give in. I am an IT Manager, damnit, I will figure this out. lol I did. You have to say START and then the apps key phrase. I kept saying "Okay Google, Find my phone". No. Okay Google START Find my phone. Read the app descriptions, they tell you the keyword there.
- I like how you can do Google web searchs and then actually open a page you like on the phone.
- I like when you get txt's, the contact photo shows up.
- Google Now does this on a lot of stuff too. My go to test phrase is "How old is Betty White?" It replies (in text) She is 92 and it has a little picture of her.
- I don't like when you get a msg and reply from the watch, this does NOT dismiss the notification.
- I don't like (and this was known beforehand) that if you get like 2 txt messages, you cannot act on both of them from the watch.

The video I watched made a good point about that in the movie theater. Said it came in every time he reached for his drink. That was old though, so I'm hoping they've tweaked it or there'll be an app that can fix that.

Re: see attached

Attachments

• Theater.jpg
    Theater.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
2 more quick things.

My buddy went to VZW last night and got one, too.

And from the "cutest thing ever" department.

When I was showing my wife the watch, my 4 year old son was sitting next to her. I did the Betty White thing. My son sits up, leans towards the watch and says
"Google! How many is Aunt Cheryl!"

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The video I watched made a good point about that in the movie theater. Said it came in every time he reached for his drink. That was old though, so I'm hoping they've tweaked it or there'll be an app that can fix that.
There should be a setting to turn that off. Might be under something like gestures. Mine sated it's a battery hog, leaves the sensor on all the time waiting for you to tilt it. I found it annoying on top of the battery aspect. The cool factor of that feature wore off after a couple of hours.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
All good to know and informative.

And I can't believe I'm the only one that can't get one in-store for the discounted price. Yet another reason to not go to the vzw store here. Haha!

I'm getting excited now. There's a chance that mine could be delivered this evening after work. Fedex always delivers later in the day to me, which is perfect, since there's a signature required this time.

However, last check-in was in Milwaukee around 5-6am, so I'm not sure it'll be in my town in time for a delivery today. Not sure what/if there's a cutoff for what time a package must arrive at our facility to be delivered that same day and we can't pickup packages they can't deliver here. It's only a sorting facility, with no office.

I'm really hoping it does come today, because I'd like to play with it this evening and start the day with it tomorrow.

I'm watching more review videos in my spare time today and pretty much all of their complaints are issues with the info that Google Now offers or things that don't seem like they'd be a big deal to me. I feel like I'll be more in-line with your overall experience so far after day 1.

Theater mode!!! That's great. We don't get to movies very often, but I'm glad to know that this mode exists. It's funny that the one guy complained that it came on in the theater when he reached for a drink and another guy complained that you have to raise it just right for it to turn the screen on. Will do my own investigating and playing on this issue, but glad you can wear it in a theater without being a jerk. (Former theater employee and current movie buff. I HATE the glow of little screens while I'm watching a movie at the theater.)

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I would agree a little bit that having to raise your arm at a specific angle is a tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny bit annoying. But I will not even remotely consider that a con. How do you not have that happen? There has to be some stark cutoff or the thing would be turning on ALL THE TIME.
One more thing for the do not like list: My work email through the native Android Email client kind of sucks. Sends notices but you can't read or reply to them.
I'll be getting a Turbo or G3 early January so hopefully that part will work better.
And I've always said "why would I ever need a watch now that I have a cell phone?" (for telling time). Uh... how about it takes 1 second to check the time on a watch? lol
I also thought if I ever did get a Smart Watch that I would always want to have it lit up. I find after actually owning one this is not a big deal. I don't mind it off at all. So I set the screen to NOT always on.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm living so vicariously through you today. Haha!

I don't think I'll mind having the screen off either, as long as it comes on quick when I got to check the time/use it, which it appears to do. No sense in wasting battery to display the time when I'm not looking at it.

I don't receive my work email outside of my work PC, which I leave in my office so I can remote in to it. They call me if there's something urgent and we're a HIPAA facility, so I'd rather not take the chance of sensitive information being on my personal devices when it's not supposed to.

The part where this bums me out a little is with the email address I use as the webmaster of the site for my theater group. I very frequently have to forward emails sent to the site to the rest of the board members and the stock email app allows me to use my groups while gmail doesn't (don't get me started on that), so that's the only one I don't have setup in Gmail now that gmail supports POP. Still not that big of a deal, because I'd have to get the phone out to forward it on and add any lengthy notes anyway.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The resident Apple nerd called for help, so I put the watch on. Walked to his office, helped him a bit, then we talked about the watch. Came back to my office. The Step Tracker said "170 steps". No way. I walked over there again to actually count... it was MAYBE 80.
Really don't care about that and few, if any, pedometers are even remotely accurate. But it is way off. I'm thinking I will be turning that off.
Apple nerd commented he was surprised by the quality of the band. It is rubber or something similar, but he's right. I hadn't even thought of it. It does seem to be good quality 'rubber'.

Got an email while in his office. I didn't know you could READ the entire email. I thought it was just give you a Notifier. (Can you reply?)
Nice surprise there.

It's back on the charger. Of course, like many devices, when it gets closer to full, charging slows down a bit.
The sensor onboard will read motions you do as steps so if you want an accurate count of steps you'll have to pause the pedometer while doing things with your hands and not walking. In my case I turn wrenches. Every turn of the wench my Fit senses like I took a step so I have to pause and start to get an accurate count. Even Fitbits and others run into the same false readings.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah. They say the hip pedometers give the closest thing to an accurate reading, simply because, if your hip's moving enough to jostle it, chances are that you're walking/running, or at least taking steps. Whereas, most people move their hands around a LOT even if they're sitting or standing in one place.