Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Maybe I'll stop by my local VZW and see if they've got a working model to play with...

Well, there goes that plan. The local "Premium Retailer" recently bought out the actual VZW corporate store. They don't carry the watches (ran into the same issue when I went to get the Christmas sale deal on the OG G Watch). She could order me the Samsung, but got confused when I asked about the Urbane and then took 5 minutes to look on the computer and found out they can't order them. But she can order the Samsung.

I'm torn. I like the idea of the extra functionality of the Samsung Gear S, but I really want my money in an AW device. I'd also really like to see them in person, even if it's just a display model that doesn't actually function.

No new toy for me today.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Well, there goes that plan. The local "Premium Retailer" recently bought out the actual VZW corporate store. They don't carry the watches (ran into the same issue when I went to get the Christmas sale deal on the OG G Watch). She could order me the Samsung, but got confused when I asked about the Urbane and then took 5 minutes to look on the computer and found out they can't order them. But she can order the Samsung.

I'm torn. I like the idea of the extra functionality of the Samsung Gear S, but I really want my money in an AW device. I'd also really like to see them in person, even if it's just a display model that doesn't actually function.

No new toy for me today.
They can do that?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Do what? Buy out a VZW store? It was news to me as well. No idea what the deal was. They're building a brand new store as well if I understand correctly.

For a while there, they were both still open, so I was on my way the the corporate store and realized all of the signage was gone and lights were out. Went to the Premium Retailer and knew right away I was out of luck, because I was looking for even ONE smartwatch while I waited for an associate to be available and saw nothing.

They've got far less on-hand merchandise in that store, which makes the whole thing even more strange to me. The VZW store had EVERYTHING.

nateccnn

Reaction score
Man...I've got the bug for a new toy and I'm having a hard time not justifying picking up an Urbane. The price isn't much more than my monthly car payment and I've got the money from my tax return to finish paying the car off AND get a new watch...Still not sure if it's enough of an upgrade from my OG g watch to justify spending full price, but I like the idea of playing with the added sensors and having Wifi available to stay tethered even when out of BT range and the g watch will never have that. Not to mention, I just watched a video on it that showed it with the wrist gestures, quick access to contacts, and emoji drawing features that I was mildly excited about when I heard about the update and knew I'd never get wifi.

Maybe I'll stop by my local VZW and see if they've got a working model to play with...
Not to mention...the watch just looks freakin awesome!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Not to mention...the watch just looks freakin awesome!
Yeah. I really wanted to check one out in person before buying, but to do that, I'll have to drive an hour and a half one way and call before I leave to make sure Best Buy or elsewhere actually has them.

Maybe I'll just order one from the website and send it back if I don't like the look in person, but I'm really digging it in pictures and videos, so I don't think I'll be disappointed.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

No new toy for me today.
S to get full use= extra line= extra $ spent each month. I'd suggest the Urbane LTE if you really want the functionality.
You'll also be going into basically the same thing, 1st gen tech when the new stuff isn't that far off, maybe 4 months.
You're liking the Google tiles off AW and going to more of a TW like ui might not be for you.
Not trying to talk you into or out of anything but the S is so last month :D
FK, around here every time a Verizon corporate store moves the electricity ain't even cut off good when a premium one comes in, signage often so similar to a corporate store you don't know it isn't until you walk in and see "Johnny from India" manning the kiosk and his wife "Jane from Pakistan" at the register. Both moves by the main store here had new tenants in the old ones within hours of the move. Literally the next week.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Don't think I can justify the extra money each month for a watch at this point.

Urbane LTE is still not android wear & that's where I'm staying. Ordered the regular urbane.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't think I can justify the extra money each month for a watch at this point.

Urbane LTE is still not android wear & that's where I'm staying. Ordered the regular urbane.

Oh that's right. It's WEBos or something . Sorry about that.
I saw something somewhere the other day explaining why watches with phones from both Samsung and LG aren't AW but I don't remember what it was specifically. Some incompatibility or other.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just assumed it was because aw doesn't support mobile data radios...?
It was something simple like that.
I wonder if LG is going to try its own app store ,like Samsung, on the LTE model or will they cross platform the apps the way Samsung does on their Fit. All my apps for my Fit come from the Play Store. Right now that's what Apple does. Apple, you load the app on your phone, it works on your phone and transfers media, etc to the watch like a notification, never loading the actual app on phone the way the S and Gear do. That's why the Apple and Fit watch are more sluggish with apps.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I hope, if they do go the route of pushing webOS and their own app store, that they still continue to make AW variations of their wearables. I've very much enjoyed my time with the OG G watch and the Urbane looks super snazzy, but like I said, I'm an Android fan and proud of it.

Can those others work quite well? Sure. You've proved that enough with the Gear S that I really was considering it alongside the Urbane for a while before I realized that I don't REALLY need mobile data on my watch. I know I'd be paying for it and never using it. I don't even use half of the data I pay for on my phone each month.

I just think that the watch running the software made by the guys who made the core software for my phone is the better choice in the long run, especially since I'm not fully convinced that my next device will be another Samsung. I know their watch will still work with other phones, but I feel like it's just not the same either way.

That said, according to tracking info, my Urbane should be delivered today before 8. Hoping the carrier sticks to their usual delivery schedule at my place, because that'll mean I'll be home to sign for it after work.