Anyone else have this problem?

rsdroid

Reaction score
I've done my best to search and try to find a solution to this problem, and can't find anything that helps. So hopefully the experts here can help me out!:)

Ever since I rooted, I've been having random power downs that require a battery pull. I originally rooted using Mathew's guide, but have since learned to flash new roms using Nandroid and wiping data at least twice, since that was one possible solution someone suggested to fix my problem.

Basically my phone just randomly shuts down. Pressing power button does nothing, have to pull the battery. It's not as bad right now as it has been when I was running previous versions of BB, when it was doing this 4-5 times a day. Now it seems to only do it about once every 24 hours.

Currently running BB 2.1 version 0.9. Previous versions were BB 2.01 v0.7 and 1.2. Before I used Smoked Glass and OC in addition, but haven't added those yet to my latest version of BB because I was trying to figure out what was causing my problem.

The one weird thing, is that even when I can't get any response without pulling the battery, the LED notifications are still working! Totally blank screen with no response, but LED flashing green to let me know I have an email!

Also, when I plug in the charger, the light letting me know it's charging doesn't come on, until I pull the battery.

That's all the info I can think of that might help to figure out what's up. I'd sure like to fix this without unrooting! It's becoming very annoying!

Thanks for the help!

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have this happen too but no where near as often. See sig for phone info. The only thing that confuses me about your claim is the light to show charging. I've never had any light while charging.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Do you have any task killers or anti virus apps?? Also befor ethis started did you add anything new besides the new ROM?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I have this happen too but no where near as often. See sig for phone info. The only thing that confuses me about your claim is the light to show charging. I've never had any light while charging.

You're white LED by the charge port has never worked?

OP
R

rsdroid

Reaction score

You're white LED by the charge port has never worked?

No, it works correctly when charging. I'm just saying that when the phone randomly shuts itself off, if I plug it into the charger before pulling the battery, that light doesn't come on, I assume because the phone is frozen and isn't charging.

OP
R

rsdroid

Reaction score
Do you have any task killers or anti virus apps?? Also befor ethis started did you add anything new besides the new ROM?

I do have ATK, although I basically have not used it in months. It is still on my phone, though.

I had not added any new apps in the couple of weeks before rooting, and everything was fine before rooting. It was also fine for the first few days after rooting and flashing the ROM, then I started having trouble. Again, no new apps added in that time either.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Uninstall those pesky task managers. They cause more problems than they solve.

This is more than likely the root of your problem (no pun intended)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
R

rsdroid

Reaction score
Uninstall those pesky task managers. They cause more problems than they solve.

This is more than likely the root of your problem (no pun intended)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Thanks CK!

I'll try it. Might as well, since I hardly ever use it anyhow.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Fraxinus

Reaction score
I have had this exact issue too. Not as frequent as yours seems to be (maybe a couple times per week on Adamz SG 6.0.1 - a little more often when I was still on BB 1.1). I do not have any task killers installed.

Periodically I try to wake my phone from sleep and it won't come up. The only option is a battery pull (my LED is also often flashing). It's been a little while since I've rooted and I didn't take care to write down anything, but I'm quite sure I had this issue once or twice *before* rooting. From the little bit of investigation I've done it seems like it might be bad hardware. Some Droids seem to have this issue while others are rock solid.

If anyone has a more definitive cause or some preventative measures I'd love to hear them.

OP
R

rsdroid

Reaction score
I have had this exact issue too. Not as frequent as yours seems to be (maybe a couple times per week on Adamz SG 6.0.1 - a little more often when I was still on BB 1.1). I do not have any task killers installed.

Periodically I try to wake my phone from sleep and it won't come up. The only option is a battery pull (my LED is also often flashing). It's been a little while since I've rooted and I didn't take care to write down anything, but I'm quite sure I had this issue once or twice *before* rooting. From the little bit of investigation I've done it seems like it might be bad hardware. Some Droids seem to have this issue while others are rock solid.

If anyone has a more definitive cause or some preventative measures I'd love to hear them.

This possibility has crossed my mind, and I really hope that's not the reason! I did have it happen maybe twice in the two months or so that I had my Droid before rooting.

So if I continue to have this problem, and don't want to live with it, should I try to return in under the warranty? How would that work?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
If it was an issue before rooting it could be hardware related. If it's hardware, there is a 1 yr warranty and should be covered under that. Just unroot and take it to verizon explaining the issue and shouldn't be a problem. It's not an insurance thing so there should be no hassle. GOod luck if thats the route you take and let us know how it goes.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
+1 on warranty return. If it was doing it before root, than go ahead and return to unroot and return to VZW. The earliest any of these phone go out of warranty is Nov 6, 2010, lol.