Any way to tell if replacement is new or refurb?

ps5281

Reaction score
I recently had an issue sending and receiving MMS on my Droid. Called Verizon tech support and after nearly an hour of them trying help with the problem she pretty much gave up and said she would ship a new phone.

Well I figured the problem out for myself a few days later and everything works fine. Now I have the Droid they shipped me.

My Droid has been dropped at least two good times and has the resulting nicks to show for it. All damage is cosmetic to the edges of the case and no where else. But now I have this pristine looking phone and Verizon expecting one in return.

My question - is there any way I can tell if this "new" phone is really new or if it's a refurbished unit? Makes sense in my mind if it is new to keep the pristine unit, shipping back the old one.

Also, now that I've fixed my "old" phone do I risk any trouble sending it back to Verizon should I decide to keep the new phone?

eliassami5

Reaction score
if you dont ship back your old phone they will charge you for the phone that gave you. A referb phone is the exact same as a new phone, sometimes even better. And it dosent matter to them if you fixed your phone or not, they just want it back and they will do tests and replace whatever needs to be replaced and then ship it to someone else who broke their phone.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Of course you can. Did it come in a sealed box? If it did then the answer is yes, if not it's a refurb.

And return the old nicked phone or else they will charge you for it.

OP
P

ps5281

Reaction score
Oh I know I'll be charged if I keep both. The "new" phone came in the same box as the "old" one - battery, charger, SDcard, etc included. Which led me to wonder if it was a brand new phone. I've gotten refurbs in the past and they have come in a generic white box and just as the phone unit (no battery, charger, etc)

bje1982

Reaction score
I recently had an issue sending and receiving MMS on my Droid. Called Verizon tech support and after nearly an hour of them trying help with the problem she pretty much gave up and said she would ship a new phone.

Well I figured the problem out for myself a few days later and everything works fine. Now I have the Droid they shipped me.

My Droid has been dropped at least two good times and has the resulting nicks to show for it. All damage is cosmetic to the edges of the case and no where else. But now I have this pristine looking phone and Verizon expecting one in return.

My question - is there any way I can tell if this "new" phone is really new or if it's a refurbished unit? Makes sense in my mind if it is new to keep the pristine unit, shipping back the old one.

Also, now that I've fixed my "old" phone do I risk any trouble sending it back to Verizon should I decide to keep the new phone?
The phones they send you through Assurion or Warranty replacement are "certified like new" aka refurb.

Edit: Also they dont care about a couple knicks but you have 10 days to send the old one back or they charge your account until they recieve it.

granitemon

Reaction score
Justice at last

Well, and this is no ****. I bought my first droid back in March. After a few good months, I realized that the microphone didn't work. (i use a bluetooth for all my calls). So they sent me a replacement and the circus began. Every replacement they sent had something that didn't work; camera, dead pixels, you name it.

About 6 weeks ago, I began to get frustrated. So, along with free merchandise and credits, they moved me to a droid 2. Even more problems. So they finally moved me up to an x, along with more free stuff and credits.

Just today, I got x #4, and so far I think they've finally sent me good one.

In case you're curious, I did not demand replacements for trivial issues. Were talking everything from blacked out cameras to VERY scratched displays and camera lenses, not to mention the phone they were completely unable to activate. And a couple times they sent me up to 3 phones instead of one, due to mix ups on their part.

Moral of the story is that I've had plenty of experience returning phones, and here's what I've found.

You actually have ninety days to return the defect.
It does not matter if the phones are in wrong boxes, they don't check serial numbers
Verizons replacement center sucks
And if you ***** enough, you WILL get your way.

mrredskin

Reaction score
let me jump on this. when you get a "new" or refurb, do you have to return the micro sd card as well, if it came with one?

capscup2011

Reaction score
Looking at mine it appears where the batterys goes there is a date of when the unit was manufactured. On my refurb they placed a sticker showing the date the phone was refurbished

jhgjhgjhjhjh

Reaction score
Hey I have the insurance on my droid and i know it covers if i brake it lose it or if the device malfunctions. Do i have to pay 50 bucks if the device is malfunctioning and it is not my fault. My camera does not work properly

wyld

Reaction score
If its a device malfunctions should use the warranty no need to use insurance

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

gsdreams

Reaction score
If its a device malfunctions should use the warranty no need to use insurance

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

That's only if the phone is less than a year old or out have TEC on your line. And the deductible is either $89 or $99 not $50. $50 is only for feature phones.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk