Any reliable SMS replacements?

slinky

Reaction score
Are there any reliable, ad-free replacements to the lousy stock SMS messaging app? I know that Handcent and Chomp are ad-supported (and rotated now very frequently) and won't feature ad-free versions, supposedly thanks to Google's very lame cultivation of the marketplace, per the rumors and reports. I've also heard that Handcent will double text and sometimes won't provide reliable alerts. The stock messaging stinks but it is reliable. Anyone else use another replacement? My needs are really simple -

- Shows time/date stamp of each message
- Threading of messages
- Reliable alerts
- Alerts on status bar and prefeerably also (or either) as a popup on the top screen layer with a light indicator

Kack

Reaction score
Handcent or ChompSMS. I currently use Handcent. They are both free apps and both do what you are looking for.

lockman

Reaction score
Both are very good. Have used both, prefer Chomp simply because you can customize the background. So I was able to make it easier to see outdoors.

jinoliads

Reaction score
smsjive.com

Hello!!!

Use smsjive.com to send sms all over the world.

:palm::palm:

Andr0id

Reaction score
I've always used Handcent and haven't looked back. It's always been reliable for me. I get all my notifications, have not had any double messages, and it has everything you are looking for. It is extremely customizable(if you want it to be) and the pop up feature works flawlessly for me.

Pretty much everyone who responds is gonna point you to Chomp or Handcent. Give em both a try and feel em out. Im sure one of them will stand out for ya. Good luck.

Last edited:

dropseys

Reaction score
My wife and I both use Handcent. I have never had any double texts or missed alerts, besides me being out of the room. Always works for me.

iamnotjohn

Reaction score
uhhm you guys know that you can change your backgrounds on handcents too right?

Reaction score
You sure can.

uhhm you guys know that you can change your backgrounds on handcents too right?

MonFeb15230715AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

MonFeb15230723AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

iamnotjohn

Reaction score
yup i love handcent, better than the default sms thing, the only problem i have is when you send pictures(MMS) i needed to use "messaging" app to do that, cause they dont receive it when i use handcent

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've never had problems with Handcent or the GV app.