Any recommendations for a QC 3.0 USB C Cable?

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Any recommendations for a QC 3.0 USB C Cable that will enable TurboPower Full Charging Speed?

R

RETG

It's not the cord, it is the charger. The device came with a specific charger that plugs into the wall and that is what supplies the voltage to the smart phone to allow it to charge rapidly (Turbo). Not sure about the Z (since mine is not here yet) but the charger on my Turbo outputs three different voltage levels with a max of 12V. The phone controls what output it receives, and shuts off charging when full to protect the battery.
I believe I read that the Z charger can supply more than my Turbo.

So no matter how good of a cord you get, if you plug it into most USB chargers that plug into a wall you might get a max of about 5 volts; most are actually lower. I have one wall charger that has two ports, one for 5 volts, the other for 2 volts.

OP
hammerhead13

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Ok. This is the kicker. So I have my 3 Port Car Charger. It has 3 QC 3.0 ports 1 USC-C & 2 USB-A. I am using a USB-C to USB-C cable and in my Car it Shows TurboPower and Charges Fast. I Bought a QC 3.0 Charger for Home a USB-A Outlet and a USB-C to USB-A Cable. It did not activate the TurboPower. I tried the Cable in my Car and it did not do it either. Another Member mentioned that its the USB-C to USB-C connection that is what it needs. Personally I feel Motorola Dropped the Ball with a Non-Removable Cable. Mine is intermittent now. I need to contact them for Warranty Replacement.

R

RETG

Not sure if any devices I have purchased over the past few years had a detachable cord from the charger. My LG did not have a detachable cord, my Sony tablet did not have a detachable cord, my new bluetooth came with a non detachable cord, etc. I have purchased some chargers with just ports and no cords. So it is just not Lenova or Motorola.

I'm guessing they just want to make sure that someone does not connect a cheap cord that could cause problems with their devices with the charger they supply for the device. With a non-detachable cord, they control the specs, with a non-detachable cord they have no control. They have no control over you using a cord with another device, but they are not supplying it.

I have not checked, however, I'm assuming these chargers are UL approved, and if so, due to the higher than normal USB charge voltage, it might require a non-detachable cord. Not sure; not an electrician, but it sounds logical; at least to me.

However, I do wish they would supply a separate cord for connection to the computer for file download/upload at least; especially in this case where they have released a new style plug. I had to order one, since this is my first USB-C device. It's not that they are not making a damn good profit on these phones.

On my current Turbo, I charge it at home at night on the Turbo charger that came with it; however, when camping in the trailer, I just use a regular USB charger and detachable cord and is charges slower but charges. And I also use the 12-volt charger from Verizon designed for the Turbo. But I must have 20 USB-B cords laying around in the house, the truck and the camper.

Good luck with the warranty replacement. I've had great luck with Verizon in the past; at least with batteries.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
...However, I do wish they would supply a separate cord for connection to the computer for file download/upload at least; especially in this case where they have released a new style plug. I had to order one, since this is my first USB-C device. It's not that they are not making a damn good profit on these phones...

I don't want to hijack this thread, but did want to mention this. Once you receive your new Moto Z phone, the built in File Manager app has an option to connect to your computer via WiFi. You can manage files between phone and computer that way also, no need for a USB cable. Make sure both devices are on the same WiFi network. Open the File Manager app > 3 line menu > Remote Management and follow the on screen instructions. It's easy to setup and works pretty good.

OK, back to talking about USB cables. :cool:

OP
hammerhead13

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I called up Motorola and a replacement is on the way. It was easy after the agent saw the correct phone I was questioning at first he told me it was out of warranty and said how is that when the phone hasn't even been out a year. Turns out he was looking at my Turbo. Once he got it straight it was smooth sailing. I am going to look for one of the QC 3.0 chargers with USB-C and get another cable like I use in my car since it shows TurboPower in my car. If I get any Working combinations I will post my findings.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
The problem that I see with this is that Motorola/Lenovo turbo charging is not the same as QC 3.0 or any QC charging. The voltage on QC 3.0 is variable depending on the phone, but the amperage is maxed out at 4.6 amps as far as I can tell. The turbo charger that comes with the Z charges at 5 volts and 5.7 amps. QC technology does not match that in amperage. QC charging varies voltage, but amperage doesn't get anywhere near what the Z requires. I don't think you will ever get a current QC charger to really "turbo charge" a Z phone. It may charge it faster that a other chargers but not as fast as the OEM turbo charger.

Last edited:
R

RETG

I don't want to hijack this thread, but did want to mention this. Once you receive your new Moto Z phone, the built in File Manager app has an option to connect to your computer via WiFi. You can manage files between phone and computer that way also, no need for a USB cable. Make sure both devices are on the same WiFi network. Open the File Manager app > 3 line menu > Remote Management and follow the on screen instructions. It's easy to setup and works pretty good.

Thanks. I will sure give that a try.

OP
hammerhead13

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

Pretty Cool. Found the same feature in ES File Explorer which I have on my Turbo and put to use. Thanks for the info and what to look for otherwise I wouldn't have even looked on another File Manager.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Pretty Cool. Found the same feature in ES File Explorer which I have on my Turbo and put to use. Thanks for the info and what to look for otherwise I wouldn't have even looked on another File Manager.
I learned about it on the Moto forum, so all credit goes to the Mods over there. They gave us a phone with no data since cable, but a file manager app with built in WiFi syncing. To me, it's crazy that's not a highly publicized feature.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
hammerhead13

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I really wish we had a charger with detachable cable.

OP
hammerhead13

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Last edited:

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I hope it works, but I kind of doubt it. Like I said before, the specs on the Z turbo charger is 5 volts and 5.7 amps. It's an odd combination. I've never seen an aftermarket charger with these specs. The one you mentioned looks like it only allows 3 amps at 5 volts. I'm not sure what actual amperage the phone needs to pull to get to full turbo charging speed, but I since they spec 5.7A, I would imagine that it needs to be about that level. I think Lenovo/Moto probably did this so we would be stuck buying their own chargers to get turbo charging.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
MacBook chargers do work to turbocharge moto z. Go figure lol. Maybe because they output 60w and 5amps helps a bit.