Any reason copying files from PC to SD card is so slow?

dean407

Reaction score
Hi all,

Ordered my Droid X last week and got it a couple days ago.

So far I REALLY like it and have no big issues at all. It's a HUGE improvement over my Blackberry curve 8330!

One weird thing to me though...I am copying some files from my PC to the phone's SD card. They are small files- mostly pics.

It's VERY slow copying. Much much slower than when I copied files to the Blackberry.

Is there any reason for this?

Thanks...

-Dean

Technoman

Reaction score
Are you using a USB 2.0 compliant port on the PC and is the cable you are using also USB 2.0 compliant? Mine copies just fine. What mode are you connected to the PC (what did you select when the USB connection prompted)?

DaRkL3AD3R

Reaction score
$5 says you're in PC Mode on the phone. Check it by dragging down the notification bar, tapping USB Connection, and telling us what it was set to.

OP
D

dean407

Reaction score
Yep. Same port I use with other external devices. When I plugged the phone in, Motorola drivers loaded up. MotoConnect icon is in the bottom right. No updates available. Using USB cable that came with phone. I access the Phone's sd card via My Computer and double clicking on the DROIDX icon then removable storage.

It's taking about 25 min to copy 37MB of pics. :icon_eek:

The phone works fine and I can view files and load up files from the card fine.

Any ideas? It's far too slow. I can copy to the Blackberry's SD card at a normal speed on the same port.

-Dean

DaRkL3AD3R

Reaction score
$5 says you're in PC Mode on the phone. Check it by dragging down the notification bar, tapping USB Connection, and telling us what it was set to.

YEP!! That is it! :)

Knew it. Click that USB connection again and change it to USB Mass Storage.

When you're in PC Mode, any file you transfer to the SD Card gets "processed" by the phone. The file along with a pretty "file transfer received" information appears in the notification bar. This significantly slows down the transfer process.

Once you change it to Mass Storage you will see a significant boost in transfer speeds.

Technoman

Reaction score
Basically that was what I was asking when I stated "what option did you select when you connect the USB to the phone". Mass Storage is the best connection for speed. I will tell you that for me it hasn't always been the best for my phone to be able to find my files.

For instance, I have a bunch of MP3 files that I copied to the phone using "Mass Storage mode" into the music folder on the SD card. When I go into the default music app, it says I don't have any music installed. If I browse my SD Card with "Astro"... my files are all there and I can play them one at a time.

DaRkL3AD3R

Reaction score
Basically that was what I was asking when I stated "what option did you select when you connect the USB to the phone". Mass Storage is the best connection for speed. I will tell you that for me it hasn't always been the best for my phone to be able to find my files.

For instance, I have a bunch of MP3 files that I copied to the phone using "Mass Storage mode" into the music folder on the SD card. When I go into the default music app, it says I don't have any music installed. If I browse my SD Card with "Astro"... my files are all there and I can play them one at a time.

Hmmm. That's odd lol.

Jamb

Reaction score
Take the card out of phone. Then transfer info onto card from pc when finished put card back into phone presto you done.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk