any benefit to installing roms manually through recovery?

moveright

Reaction score
I installed gummyjar2.5 last night through clockwork ROMmanager. I chose wipe data and all that but for some reason I just feel like it's not a clean install. like the data was not wiped.

Is there any advantage to re-installing using
1.recovery console
2. wipe data/factory reset
3. install from zip?

Also, I have read in some places that after installing a new rom, you should "re-bootstrap" and also wipe the system again.

can anyone explain this to me?
thanks, and sorry for being such an OCD and quite anal question machine:biggrin:

trook

Reaction score
Rom manager doesn't jive too well with the droid 2, I have no idea why it just doesn't work well. installing through clockwork recovery is better, less chance of being buggy because you know exactly whats going on as far as wipes and mounting, and its what all rom developers say to use in their install instructions. As far as a re-wipe inside android, that's an old fission instruction because it was very buggy in the beginning, disregard that unless the rom developer says to do it in the install instructions.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
M

moveright

Reaction score
I reinstalled through bootstrap. Actually I also did settings>privacy and reset the phone. That actually made me activate it again. I feel better.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Reaction score
Yeah, I sometimes feel Rom Manager is a little buggy, and I prefer to do it through the recovery when I want it done right. But if you want as clean an install as you can make it, go into the partition setting in the recovery and format all of the partitions(I personally dont format the sd card partitions because that is where the zip I want to flash and my backups are. Im not sure what is in the sd-ext one either so I dont wipe it either)

Reaction score
just did a little reading and the sd-ext is for apps2sd. I would probably format that too, but you dont have to