Answer: Why Apple had more apps than Android

Reaction score
Just do a search for "flashlight" on iTunes.
$4.99 white screens, and 100s of them
Now search for "flashlight" on the Android Market.
About 50 crappy bright screens, but they're free, and the awesome camera flash for free as well! Just sayin, :)
My friend dropped his pen on the bus and used a $0.99 white screen to look for it. I turned on the free MotoTorch and it lit up the entire back of the bus.

Mojo

Reaction score
I agree there are way to many "fluff" apps in both markets. 90% of them all are not worth the time it takes to scroll past them

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I agree there are way to many "fluff" apps in both markets. 90% of them all are not worth the time it takes to scroll past them

oh I don't know. "pull my finger" was pretty cool and worth the ten bucks.

M

Matth3w

Just do a search for "flashlight" on iTunes.
$4.99 white screens, and 100s of them
Now search for "flashlight" on the Android Market.
About 50 crappy bright screens, but they're free, and the awesome camera flash for free as well! Just sayin, :)
My friend dropped his pen on the bus and used a $0.99 white screen to look for it. I turned on the free MotoTorch and it lit up the entire back of the bus.
No offense but the Android Market is full of just as much crap as the iMarket or WTF they call it.

Detonation

Reaction score
There is more money to be made in the apple app market...there are more iphone users than droid users, and if they are buying apple products at a premium price, i think they will probably also be more willing to spend money on apps. So, developers are more motivated to develop for apple.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
To answer the main question as to why more app store apps than market apps. Iphone had 2 years by itself before the market started up. That's a lot of lead time. Plus iphone is a proven seller, meaning proven revenue for devs. The market will catch up, devs are prefering the openness of it over apple.

Brokn68

Reaction score
Iphone had a head-start and Apple released a SDK and marketed it pretty nicely to encourage development.

TheRenfro

Reaction score
Both app markets have quite a few crap apps. The main reason why I think the iPhone has so many apps is because of popularity. There are 6 million iPhones in the US, why not jump on the opportunity and try and make some money. If I knew how to develop apps I would do it, but I would also make those apps work on Android.

Another reason is 'fragmentation'. I'm not a developer so I don't know if this is a problem, but I think in a couple of years it's going to be. The Android OS has 20+ devices, and all those devices don't have the same flavor of Android, or the same screen size. As far as I know there are 4 different types of Android in the wild, 1.5, 1.6, 2.0, and 2.1, and not all apps play nice with some phones. And some devices (like the Droid) have high quality screens, and i've downloaded apps that have a black bar on the side because they were developed for smaller screens.

iPirate

Reaction score
Both app markets have quite a few crap apps. The main reason why I think the iPhone has so many apps is because of popularity. There are 6 million iPhones in the US, why not jump on the opportunity and try and make some money. If I knew how to develop apps I would do it, but I would also make those apps work on Android.

Another reason is 'fragmentation'. I'm not a developer so I don't know if this is a problem, but I think in a couple of years it's going to be. The Android OS has 20+ devices, and all those devices don't have the same flavor of Android, or the same screen size. As far as I know there are 4 different types of Android in the wild, 1.5, 1.6, 2.0, and 2.1, and not all apps play nice with some phones. And some devices (like the Droid) have high quality screens, and i've downloaded apps that have a black bar on the side because they were developed for smaller screens.
I'm currently working on a game and there do not seem to be any problems with developing for 2.1 and it working on 1.5...

I agree with you, the apple market has been around longer and has been very popular. Everyone wants to make a fart app with their own tunes