another noob getting braver with root access with an sbf question

Reaction score
Hello friends, I have searched this forum, and others, and did google search after google search and still cannot find a definative answer. I have a rooted Droid 2 (NON-GLOBAL), with OTA Android version 2.3.3, Gingerbread. Build Number 4.5.1_57_DR2-31. I am looking for a how-to (and appropriate files) on how to SBF my D2. I haven't bricked my phone or anything, I am simply looking for the piece of mind that knowing how to fix it in case I do. My confusion stems from the fact that there is SO MUCH info floating around I don't know which is correct for me. I have looked and looked to find the info myself before I decided to ask for help. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to answer.

nhra1ss

Reaction score
I use the ezSBF method found here. Look at the stickies here in the D2 Hack forum. Works great for me (have used it a few times)

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
mikelikesbikes
Reaction score
ezsbf

I have downloaded and burned the cd. Is it as easy as it is says? I was wanting to flash my first ROM soon and i like the added security in case i screw up flashing the ROM.

nhra1ss

Reaction score
I was just like you, researching as much as I could but uneasy when I first rooted last fall. After finally deciding to flash a rom a couple of months ago, I had an idea of how to get back stock. I burned the ez SBF file ( last fall ) which would take me to Froyo. I have done that a couple of times now that I am flashing roms and did have my D2 stall at the M logo a few weeks ago. I knew it would happen but not when,lol. I already had loaded the disc in my laptop and booted to the file, just to see what it would do. After getting to the screen that asked if my phone was hooked up, I just exited it, having seen what to expect.
When I actually used the disc, it sbf'd my cell to Froyo, then after I had it up and running, took the OTA gingerbread update and was back in business ( then re rooted ).

A couple of weeks ago I noticed the dev had posted an update, adding a gingerbread sbf file with a built in root tool. I used it this past Sunday and works great. Just start up or reboot your pc ( set up to boot from the disc first ) and follow the instructions. Really easy after you have done it. Any problems just ask, :biggrin:

As for first rom, I flashed MIUI first and have loved it. Tried a few of the builds that beanstown106 has and have been following him ever since. Very nice and I love it. I have tried a few others ( using Boot Manager ) just to see what they were like, but I am staying with MIUI. Just what the Droid 2 should have had from the start,lol.

Here is the thread here on DF of what I am running right now

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-roms/203454-rom-official-miui-us-defx-gb.html

Oh, and hope you have Titanium Backup or another app with everything backed up. Comes in handy when resetting up your phone with you apps/data.

OP
mikelikesbikes
Reaction score
Thanks for your help.

I do have Titanium, just not sure exactly how and when to use it, except for freezing bloat. When I finally get up the nerve to flash a ROM I will try the one you suggest first. Hope to flash one in the next couple days. I understand how to Nandroid backup, just not sure when to use the Nandroid and when to use TB. When flashing a ROM I do the system wipe, then flash ROM, then restore my apps and date w/ TB? And Google should restore my contacts? Am I on the right track?

nhra1ss

Reaction score
I usually backup with TiBu every so often when I have added new apps or data. Always nice to know you have a fresh backup if needed and I always do it before I wipe the system.I also read up all that I can about a certain rom before flashing so I know a little about what to expect and any bugs that maybe present.
All roms may have a little different method of installing, but most of the time, this is what I do;

Go into CWR and chose "wipe data/factory reset" and click ok on next screen.
Go back to first screen and chose " wipe cache partition" and click ok on next screen
Go back to first screen and chose install zip from sdcard. The next screen will show what is on your card. I added a folder named "Roms" which makes it easy to find my zip file.
Click on the file you want to install, click yes you want to install it and it installs.
You may then have to go back to the first screen after it says "install complete" and check "reboot system now" ( I think, or it may just load when finished. Brain fade at the moment,lol).

Anyway, just read up on the rom you want, follow their directions and you should be good. After a couple of times, it will be easy and you will have more confidence, I know I do :biggrin:

OP
mikelikesbikes
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. Gotta go though. Work tomorrow. Good talking. Hopefully i can pick your brain some more tomorrow.