Another 'global' in Verizon pipeline?

goffredo

Reaction score
Hey gang,

First, let me thank the folks on these forums for all the great information here. I've been lurking for a few days now, and I'm astonished at the depth of knowledge on these forums.

I've got an HTC Incredible on Verizon. It's working great, but I need to spend September and October in Italy this year, so I'll need a phone that can take a SIM card from a local carrier such as TIM or Wind. I would use the phone both for voice calls, as well as to set up a wifi hotspot using its cellular data connection so my laptop can get internet. The obvious choice is the Droid 2 Global.

My question is this -- between now and September, are there any other phones in the pipeline that might release to the public that offer Verizon + GSM capabilities? If so, I might hold off on getting the D2G because it only has a 5MP camera, the only bummer about this phone! Otherwise, there's no reason I can think of to delay picking up a D2G asap so I can start getting used to it.

Grazie!
-Goffredo

leonozug

Reaction score
The Droid Incredible 2 is coming out later this month, it will be a global phone and blow away the D2G...check out android central, it was just was updated about it man.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
The Incredible 2 has been confirmed Global and if all goes well, it should hit right around the 21st of April. 4" screen, same processor as the Thunderbolt, 1.3mp FFC and 8mp camera. Should also be on the new Sense with Gingerbread coming shortly.

OP
G

goffredo

Reaction score
Thanks gang! That would be perfect. I'll keep an ear out.

OP
G

goffredo

Reaction score
The lack of QWERTY is what I actually like about it. Allows a smaller, more compact size.

Agree. Slide-out keypads are just one more thing that will collect pocket lint, break, or otherwise be annoying. It was the other thing I didn't like about the D2G (the camera being the first thing).

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I never have problems with my keyboard being dirty, sliding around in my pocket, or getting damaged. Size is a matter of opinion.

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
The droid pro is also a global phone.
Honestly the qwerty keyboard is just a matter of preference, some like it some don't. For me the qwerty keyboard is a nice addition since I don't like typing on the touchscreen all the time.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
no problems with mine either. but have to agree on camera. one of my negatives on the Global. waiting for specs on what the DInc 2 has to offer.

sent from the Hawaiian D2G

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
no problems with mine either. but have to agree on camera. one of my negatives on the Global. waiting for specs on what the DInc 2 has to offer.

Right now I would say the specs are looking like this.

1gHz processor from TB
786 (or 768, can't remember which) gB RAM
1GB on phone storage
coming with 16gB card installed
4" Super LED screen
about 1/4" taller and wider than the original Inc.
Actually just a hair thinner, supposedly
1450 battery

You can go to HTC website and pull the specs on the Incredible S and this is supposedly the exact same phone. Doesn't look bad at all.

silver6054

Reaction score

Right now I would say the specs are looking like this.

1gHz processor from TB
786 (or 768, can't remember which) gB RAM
1GB on phone storage
coming with 16gB card installed
4" Super LED screen
about 1/4" taller and wider than the original Inc.
Actually just a hair thinner, supposedly
1450 battery

You can go to HTC website and pull the specs on the Incredible S and this is supposedly the exact same phone. Doesn't look bad at all.
I am confused at to what the 1GB on-phone storage corresponds to. Doesn't the D2G have 8GB here?

And I assume 786 (or even 768) GB of RAM is a typo! MB, yes...