Another Facebook Syncing thread - a little different though!

brbeard

Reaction score
So, I got a droid yesterday, set up my facebook acct through the MotoBlur thing, everything's cool. And then my girlfriend is playing with it and she accidentally deletes herself from my contact list. I couldn't figure out how to get her back, so I deleted the facebook acct and reinstalled it hoping it'd refresh everything. It didn't, it just deleted all of the facebook contacts (not a HUGE deal, but I liked the pics being there for my contacts). Does anyone know how I can get the facebook contacts re-added to my list of contacts? I'm not using the marketplace version of Facebook, so that's not the problem. I can't figure out how to do this!

Dina0926

Reaction score
Just curious if when using MotoBlur's version of Facebook it pulled all of your FB contacts in to your phonebook? My Droid 2 did and I am looking for a workaround so that FB only syncs with the contacts I have in my phone and not pull all my FB friends into my phonebook.

droider4life

Reaction score
When you open the native facebook app on your phone then hit menu>settings>go down to "other Settings"> sync contacts. inside there you can tell it to either "sync all" or "sync with existing contacts" or "Remove facebook data"... If your your having problems getting someone to show back up again then remove data and resync with "existing contacts" it should resync it. make sure the name in your contact matches the facebook name.. letter for letter..

Edit: make sure to leave your sync on the "power control bar" ON.. And then be patient

ripsting

Reaction score
Motorola's Facebook integration is terrible and rigid. Not only will it add all of your Facebook contacts to your phone's contact list, it will replace all of your contact photos with their profile picture from Facebook. How stupid is that? Enough of my friends on Facebook don't use their self-portrait as their profile picture and it's screwing with me. And really, who wants their contacts' photos updating every week? Garbage.

The phone hardware wise is awesome, but the lack of preferences in the Moto Blur crap is infuriating.

I've completely removed Facebook integration and am only checking it via the web browser for now.

ripsting

Reaction score
When you open the native facebook app on your phone then hit menu>settings>go down to "other Settings"> sync contacts. inside there you can tell it to either "sync all" or "sync with existing contacts" or "Remove facebook data"...

I reinstalled the Facebook App and re-added my Facebook account to test this. The only item I have under "Other settings" is "Helpful tips".

Also, under Phone Settings -> Accounts -> Menu -> [contact] Picture source, the only option is my Facebook account and I cannot uncheck it!

droider4life

Reaction score
When you open the native facebook app on your phone then hit menu>settings>go down to "other Settings"> sync contacts. inside there you can tell it to either "sync all" or "sync with existing contacts" or "Remove facebook data"...

I reinstalled the Facebook App and re-added my Facebook account to test this. The only item I have under "Other settings" is "Helpful tips".

Also, under Phone Settings -> Accounts -> Menu -> [contact] Picture source, the only option is my Facebook account and I cannot uncheck it!
WOW, i guess the droid 2 is totally different than the moto1, ENTIRELY.. sorry for the bad advice!

ripsting

Reaction score
Another curious thing to note:
After I install the Facebook App, if I go back to Phone Settings->Accounts->Add Account there are now two Facebook icons. One is a little larger than the other. If I clock the smaller of the two it takes me through the setup wizard and imports all my Facebook friends - and thus messes things up. If I click the larger of the two, nothing happens.

Dreamer

Reaction score
I hated the fact that all of my FB friends were in my contacts so I deleted the "social network" facebook. I haven't looked to see if it removed the pictures and everything from contacts that were already exsisting. I have enjoyed using "facebook for android" that I downloaded from the market in the few minutes I've used it. Much easier for me!

idiotekniQues

Reaction score
Another curious thing to note:
After I install the Facebook App, if I go back to Phone Settings->Accounts->Add Account there are now two Facebook icons. One is a little larger than the other. If I clock the smaller of the two it takes me through the setup wizard and imports all my Facebook friends - and thus messes things up. If I click the larger of the two, nothing happens.

yeah same here. i think moto is blocking the regular android app from being used for the accounts so you are stuck using their crappy version.

mister880

Reaction score
I hated the fact that all of my FB friends were in my contacts so I deleted the "social network" facebook. I haven't looked to see if it removed the pictures and everything from contacts that were already exsisting. I have enjoyed using "facebook for android" that I downloaded from the market in the few minutes I've used it. Much easier for me!

i also removed the existing facebook through social networking - i don't care to see all of my facebook contacts and everyones status. if i want to see there status ill pull there profile up through the facebook app. i saw alot of the battery life was being used up due to the social networking, constantly syncing my contacts updating there statuses.

it did remove my pictures, although i wonder if the app "syncmypix" will resolve that.

crankyg

Reaction score
Motorola's Facebook integration is terrible and rigid. Not only will it add all of your Facebook contacts to your phone's contact list, it will replace all of your contact photos with their profile picture from Facebook. How stupid is that? Enough of my friends on Facebook don't use their self-portrait as their profile picture and it's screwing with me. And really, who wants their contacts' photos updating every week? Garbage.

The phone hardware wise is awesome, but the lack of preferences in the Moto Blur crap is infuriating.

I've completely removed Facebook integration and am only checking it via the web browser for now.

You can change the FB profile pic for your contacts to whatever you choose.. Go into contacts >menu>edit> press and hold their picture ( or the face icon with the + sign on the left of the contacts name) you will see the options, take photo, or use existing photo..

Fera6037

Reaction score
i have a similar problem,

like everyone else, when i first added my facebook account to the motoblur facebook app it added all of my friends to my contact list. i didnt like this. so i deleted the facebook account from my phone, getting rid of the friends, the pictures, the status updates, everything attached to motoblurs facebook account. i later decided i would rather deal with having all of my contacts so that i can have the pictures and facebook info linked to the contacts in my phone, so i re added my facebook account and it went through ok but its not giving me any of the stuff in my contacts anymore, no pictures or anything, and when i tell it to show only my facebook group it says "you do not have any contacts"

like i said, it worked the first time, but after i deleted it and added it again it wont give me anything. i have removed and re added the account multiple times and my phones sync setting is on, but i still get nothing. whats the deal?