Annoyed with my Droid.....

OP

1stdroid

Reaction score
So while I agree with you about wanting the stock features to just work right, I have to question how you can make the monumental jump from your experience meaning that the phone itself isn't ready for prime time. That is kind of just as absurd as the people making assumptions about your usage and swearing by the phone's good graces.

I use the stock music player for about 1-2 hours daily, some days more and I haven't experienced your problem but I have read a few other threads for people with issues. Pretty much every device known to man has some issue for some subset of people. It sucks when you are one of the ones in that subset, but that doesn't mean the device is a global failure, even though to those people it just seems awful.

I respect constructive and logical criticism. I think Android is still pretty young and could spice up its offerings. There are quite a few features that I miss from my win mo and blackberry phones that just seem like "duh" features to have, that android is missing. Those kinds of features are what would make me say a phone isn't ready for primetime. Bugs that only affect a small number of people, as much as they suck, are not.

Two players I've seen come up a lot are the Meridian music player and 3 (i think that is what its called). Hope your reboot helps, but if not, good luck with a market app.

Thanks for the player suggestions.

With regard to my opinion, yes, it is actually based on my experience. Clearly, if the phones (3) I've had all worked flawlessly, I wouldn't have the opinion. I respect your position but all I really have to base my opinions on are my experiences, vicarious and direct.

Reading this forum is more vicarious experience in support of my opinion. I would hazard to guess that somewhere around 5% or less of posters on this forum could say their droid has not had a single issue. To me, the percentage should be much higher.

To date, there are many inherent issues that have just become quasi accepted. So what if you can't voice dial your phone. Who cares if the music player doesn't work. It doesn't really matter that the bluetooth functionality is erratic. And so on, and so on. These are just a subset of the issues I have experienced. It seems there are those that take the position of closing there eyes and reciting over and over, "bad man go away" and all is well.

I just think the flagship phone from Verizon should be more stable in terms of its' stock features. I happen to think the overall concept of android as an OS for phones is awesome with tremendous potential. I also believe I should be able to listen to music on my phone.

Thanks again.

warrior21

Reaction score
While I can definitely understand the frustration and can't disagree that the phone does have some issues that need addressing, this is the case with any smartphone that comes out. Yes this is Verizon's flagship smartphone but so was the Iphone for At&t and everyone remembers how the first release of that was. It took them three years to get to the point they are at now. All I read is posts about how "My blackberry was able to do this, why can't the droid"? What I remember about the blackberry is daily battery pulls to the point where it became absolute routine. For me a basic function of a phone is not to freeze up and to actually stay on. I'm sure there are a few people that never experienced that problem but based on what I've read and from all the people I know that have them it's very common, and as you said overlooked, along with the slow internet experience. The droid has a long way to go but in comparison to other smart phones, it's at the top of the list and that's just after 6 months. I hope you finally get one that works well for you because like I said it would annoy me also to have all of those problems

Last edited:

jbsangel

Reaction score
Thanks for the player suggestions.

With regard to my opinion, yes, it is actually based on my experience. Clearly, if the phones (3) I've had all worked flawlessly, I wouldn't have the opinion. I respect your position but all I really have to base my opinions on are my experiences, vicarious and direct.

Reading this forum is more vicarious experience in support of my opinion. I would hazard to guess that somewhere around 5% or less of posters on this forum could say their droid has not had a single issue. To me, the percentage should be much higher.

To date, there are many inherent issues that have just become quasi accepted. So what if you can't voice dial your phone. Who cares if the music player doesn't work. It doesn't really matter that the bluetooth functionality is erratic. And so on, and so on. These are just a subset of the issues I have experienced. It seems there are those that take the position of closing there eyes and reciting over and over, "bad man go away" and all is well.

I just think the flagship phone from Verizon should be more stable in terms of its' stock features. I happen to think the overall concept of android as an OS for phones is awesome with tremendous potential. I also believe I should be able to listen to music on my phone.

Thanks again.
Oh don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you wanting your stock features to work. I wasn't disputing that at all. I was just (poorly) attempting to say that basically you can't take your "part" and apply it to the "whole." There are definitely some people like you said that are accepting of basic stuff not working (which is sad). But there are a lot more that aren't having problems at all. I for one am not having the problems you mention. Just because my experience is good doesn't mean I get to say, "Wow the Droid is great, it has no issues and is totally ready for prime time!!" And similarly, just because your experience isn't, you don't get to say, "Man the Droid isn't ready for primetime."

I for one would like to see more focus on fixing some of the basic stuff that doesn't work for everyone, and adding basic features that are present on other platforms that have been around longer and have evolved. I would love to see that instead of stupid live wall papers and google goggles and what not.

OP

1stdroid

Reaction score
All,

Agreed on all points. I too didn't mean to suggest the droids should be recalled and refund everyone's money. Fundamentally, I still like the phone. I'm just growing weary of the idiosyncrasies.

Last night, I'm driving to golf league and decide to make a call. I turn on bluetooth on the droid and, it doesn't connect with my car. Sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't. My razr connected flawlessly every single time in the same vehicle. This is a seemingly minor thing as I just made the call with the handset but, c'mon man! You get the idea. It's just not too much to expect the phone to work....even just as a bluetooth phone!

Again, agreed overall and didn't mean to come on too strong.

Peace.

jbsangel

Reaction score
My phone reboots about 90% of the time when I connect with my motorola bt headphones. My plantronics 925 headset doesn't have this problem. Connects every time no issue. But my headphones, ugh. I don't know if it is the phone or the headphones or what.