animated gifs in messaging

benjyw44

Reaction score
I've noticed on my Eris that I cannot get a forwarded text message that is an animation. I guess it's a gif. Usually it breaks the sound and the gif separately so you can open them individually. And the gif / animation only plays one time, then you have to re-set it.

I know older phones could get these and play them with the music. Any idea how to do it?

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
I've noticed on my Eris that I cannot get a forwarded text message that is an animation. I guess it's a gif. Usually it breaks the sound and the gif separately so you can open them individually. And the gif / animation only plays one time, then you have to re-set it.

I know older phones could get these and play them with the music. Any idea how to do it?

I do believe android does not support .gif format, it's sad I know... someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Guchi

Reaction score
^^^that is correct. But .gif is way old tech, its all about flash and html5 now

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
^^^that is correct. But .gif is way old tech, its all about flash and html5 now

The really really sad part is that forums\myspace, etc, mostly support .gif's as avatars, so right there android is behind the times.

Why wouldn't they support gifs is the real question, it's a simple format. I know moving forward is great and all, but this seems like a really ez deal for an 'operating system'.

samvandf

Reaction score
That was an overlook of Droid Incredible...I was going to upgrade my phone but not any more...Hopefully, Android 2.2 will support animated GIF or I will keep my old phone...Did not want to get iPhone since it does not support Flash player and now Droid Incredible not supporting animated GIF...:angry: