Animated .gif files...

OmegaXzer0

Reaction score
Hey there,

I was wondering if there was an app or a way to enable the correct display of animated .gif files either in a browser or in the gallery? I noticed that within Handcent, you can choose to attach a "Handcent greeting" which when previewed, looks like an animated .gif file. Any help would be appreciated. :D

-Sam

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
No gif support at this time.... I have not heard of anything lately on it.

bdarting

Reaction score
Nothing yet? My old LG dare even played gif files... weird that the droid won't.

FingersXG

Reaction score
Nothing yet? My old LG dare even played gif files... weird that the droid won't.

I also just switched from the Dare to the Droid, and am disappointed that animated gifs cannot be viewed.

rage151

Reaction score
I wish it would support. GIF files too. Anyone know if 2.1 supports them? I am thinking the animated wallpapers may mean the functionality is there …

Grabraham

Reaction score
Comment #134 on issue 3422 by [email protected]: Animated GIF not working in browser
Issue 3422 - android - Animated GIF not working in browser - Project Hosting on Google Code

If you want to work around this with your own Android build, you'll need to modify C++ code, rebuild, and
reflash your phone. You'll need to make two fixes to the released sources.

1) edit the function should_use_animated_gif() in
external/webkit/WebCore/platform/graphics/android/ImageSourceAndroid.cpp (around line 217). Return true
to animate gifs.

2) Change setRGBA() in /WebCore/platform/image-decoders/ImageDecoder.h (around line 173) to call
*dest = SkPackARGB32(a, r, g, b);
instead of
*dest = (a << 24 | r << 16 | g << 8 | b);

With these changes, gifs will animated correctly on large memory devices like Droid and Nexus One.

There's no code path for animating gifs in arbitrary applications like Gallery, except by rewriting it to host a
WebView modded as described above.

I know not the answer you were looking for :) but I got that in an email this morning

plongson

Reaction score
There's a few DRIOD sux at and the other is limited BLUETOOTH functionality. Really irritates me...