Android tablet os.

Floridroid

Reaction score
I have been looking to purchase an Android tablet and some of them have the 1.5 or 1.7 or 2.0 o.s. what is the difference?

-can you root an Android tablet?
-can you upgrade a 1.5 version to 2.2 version?
-is it worth it to get a tablet? ( it's just for facebook, youtube and stuff like that. no business)

Thanks a lot

Darkseider

Reaction score
Currently there aren't any Android based tablets worth getting. Wait until Asus, Motorola, Samsung and nVidia drop theirs towards years end.

illmatic636

Reaction score
I have been looking to purchase an Android tablet and some of them have the 1.5 or 1.7 or 2.0 o.s. what is the difference?

-can you root an Android tablet?
-can you upgrade a 1.5 version to 2.2 version?
-is it worth it to get a tablet? ( it's just for facebook, youtube and stuff like that. no business)

Thanks a lot

Funny you know about Root, but not the different OS releases. dancedroid however, this is the first time I heard on 1.7. That must be a tablet specific OS.

OP
F

Floridroid

Reaction score
I know its an old version but only used 2.1 and 2.2. Never seen 1.5 before. Thanks for the info guys
I will wait then.

RemyL75

Reaction score
Well, I wouldn't say garbage. But they are not the best devices. I have had a couple of Android tablets (both of which were returned) and from what I saw and have read in tablet-related forums, here are the answers to your questions...

Can you root an Android tablet? In just about all cases, yes. They have figured out how to root most of the tablets that are currently out.

Can you upgrade from 1.5 to 2.2? In most cases, no. The only tablet I have seen that could even come close to that is the Archos 5 Internet Tablet. It started out on 1.5/1.6 and I believe is currently on 2.0/2.1. I haven't seen a tablet currently on the market that runs 2.2. The Augen 7" runs 2.1 and the Augen has made claims to an upgrade to 2.2 coming later on.

Is it worth it to get a tablet? Only you can answer that. Right now, I can honestly say it isn't for me. Maybe it's the resistive screens, maybe it's the overall newess of the market. But this is all my own experience. Whatever you decide, good luck and I hope this helps.

RemyL75

Reaction score
Funny you know about Root, but not the different OS releases. dancedroid however, this is the first time I heard on 1.7. That must be a tablet specific OS.

There are tablets out there that are claiming to be running Android 1.7. That is not a real version, but what the tablet sellers put in the description because they don't know (or a lot fof the time, care) what they are selling. the 1.7 part is actually the Chinese company's firmware number. They are usually running 1.5 or 1.6. But in the About Phone section, the firmware will be shown as 1.7.2 or something like that. The sellers take that number and say it's the version of Android. Really doesn't do anything but confuse people.