Android Tablet as a Head Unit

Omar1019

Reaction score
Hello Guys!
I am wondering how difficult would it be today to use our current Android tablets as an head unit in a car????
In the past people have attempted it with okay end result! but today we have very powerful tablets and the best part is they're equipped with USB-C. How hard would it be to use generic backup cameras that are meant for regular head units convert it into an USB input?
I am a car enthusiast and i have few classic cars! I don't want to remove the stock head unit and ruin the look! Instead I can use magnetic mount to hold the tablet!!
I would simply like to have a USB-C dongle underneath the dash to which a usb camera will be connected and also power. The USB-C dongle will connect to the table via USB-C port and provide power and camera input. we can simply press a camera logo on the tablet to get the backup image or figure out a way to place a trigger on reverse lights whenever they're on meaning you put your car in reverse and reverse lights gets 12V so will the trigger and automatically bring up reverse camera image to front on the tablet! I know this isn't an insane idea or most difficult thing to do! But I am willing to fund this project for myself and for the sake to fellow car enthusiast & Non-enthusiast who can benefit from this! Since in todays age reverse cameras are considered safety & mandatory equipment!
Thanks a lot In advance!!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you already have a plan and know how to do what you are wanting to do.

I'm not sure about the reverse switch triggering anything on the tablet. Maybe there is some kind of USB-C adapter that can then trigger an action on an Android tablet? If it's new enough that is has Google Assistant you could always setup a voice trigger and launch the camera with a keyword (like....OK Google .... reverse and that triggers Assistant to open the camera app).

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

OP
O

Omar1019

Reaction score
Hello Sajo! Thanks for your reply! Yea It seems pretty straight forward! I think I need to figure out a third party USB button or toggle/switch that has its stand alone app that we can configure and use it as an app launch, car is in reverse button gets triggered and the App launches camera! We can even configure it to have multiple cameras as well! I am just not aware of an existing USB switches that will launch an app!