Great Head Unit that works with the Droid

etx_droid

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just thought I'd post some info on this awesome head unit I just purchased. I wanted a cheap/good unit that would work with the droid so I started researching. I didn't really care about blue tooth, but wanted to be able to either connect via usb or aux port. Luckily I found a great Kenwood receiver that does both. Here is the link to the Kenwood KDC-MP345U.

I'm able to either mount my SD card and use the USB port (It shows the Artist/Album/Song/etc.) or just plug into the aux port. I use the OEM car dock with this set up as well. This is nothing fancy, I just know whenever I was first looking for a replacement stereo, I searched the forum and thought somebody else may do the same! Now if only the Kenwood could "push" me 2.1 :p

baniels

Reaction score
I would make the guess that the sound quality when mounting and accessing the files directly is much better than using the aux-in option.

Of course this is assuming your speakers are able to exhibit the difference.

Am I right?

OP
etx_droid

etx_droid

Reaction score
I would make the guess that the sound quality when mounting and accessing the files directly is much better than using the aux-in option.

Of course this is assuming your speakers are able to exhibit the difference.

Am I right?

There is a slight difference, less then I thought there would be. I don't have anything but stock speakers in my CX-7. I usually use the aux whenever I'm using the GPS or wanna listen to a podcast. If I'm USBin' it up, the stock Droid speaker is loud enough to use from the dock if I get a call. Although, you could already have the aux plugged in and switch source as soon as you get a call...haven't tried that yet.

Last edited:
Reaction score
With the aux in you'll be able to stream Pandora or ESPNRadio ect from your phone to your HU

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
This is another good one:
Amazon.com: Dual XHD7714 AM/FM/CD player and HD Radio Built-it iTunes Tagging: Electronics

I knwo it's a dual or whatever, but this thing is great for a droid. You can stream via bluetooth. You can even use the unit or remote to change tracks pause and play. So it pretty much fully integrates. You can mount the usb and play it that way. You can use a 2 way headphone jack and play it that way as well. It also has built in hd radio! I love this stereo with my droid. I can charge the droid while driving around listening to the playlists I want, or stream pandora.

OP
etx_droid

etx_droid

Reaction score
This is another good one:
Amazon.com: Dual XHD7714 AM/FM/CD player and HD Radio Built-it iTunes Tagging: Electronics

I knwo it's a dual or whatever, but this thing is great for a droid. You can stream via bluetooth. You can even use the unit or remote to change tracks pause and play. So it pretty much fully integrates. You can mount the usb and play it that way. You can use a 2 way headphone jack and play it that way as well. It also has built in hd radio! I love this stereo with my droid. I can charge the droid while driving around listening to the playlists I want, or stream pandora.

Looks like a good deal if you wanna use bluetooth! The Kenwood also charges while plugged in via USB and comes with a remote. Forgot to mention that...and when you are using USB you can change tracks, pause play, etc. Another cool thing it is you can put music on a flash drive or external HD and it will read that as well. But the Dual looks like another solid option! Thanks for the replies...

ib2qwik2c

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.. quick question though: what sound better for streaming music, aux in, usb or bluetooth? Thanks a lot.. I'm looking to upgrade my stock stereo.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.. quick question though: what sound better for streaming music, aux in, usb or bluetooth? Thanks a lot.. I'm looking to upgrade my stock stereo.

Well aux in I think is last. BT and usb are pretty close. On my unit they sould a lot alik. the BT may just put out a little higher highs.

ib2qwik2c

Reaction score

Well aux in I think is last. BT and usb are pretty close. On my unit they sould a lot alik. the BT may just put out a little higher highs.

Interesting.. kinda wasn't expecting that but it does make sense. Any other bt streaming decks out there? I'm really liking that dual:)

OP
etx_droid

etx_droid

Reaction score
I'd like to see some info on which is better, USB or bluetooth when it comes to sound quality. I'm not sold on bluetooth having better quality yet. Not saying you're wrong though. But yeah, aux is definitely last. USB sounds great IMO through the Kenwood.

Speedy3

Reaction score
Probably USB, then Aux, then Bluetooth. USB and Aux will be close and only discerning ears will hear the difference. Bluetooth transmission is not direct therefore, it will not be as clear as the others.

Reaction score
You can't stream audio over USB. When in USB mode, the HU is reading files off your droid and playing them, so you can't use pandora or any music player. The droid is essentially a flash drive at this point. USB does however offer the best SQ.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
With USB quality depends on the head unit's DAC. In most cases it should be pretty good but it's certainly possible for a cheap head unit to have a poor one.

OP
etx_droid

etx_droid

Reaction score
With USB quality depends on the head unit's DAC. In most cases it should be pretty good but it's certainly possible for a cheap head unit to have a poor one.

I think you are spot on takeshi, I've been researching this and I found a pretty interesting write up on this subject: Getting the Best Sound Out of Your Portable Music Player in the Car

They don't talk about USB connections though...and I must say, the :motdroidhoriz: through AUX sounds amazing the more I listen...hard for me to tell which is better USB or AUX. Needless to say, I'm VERY happy with both and glad I have options:icon_ banana:

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
I recently bought the Kenwood KDC-HD942U at Best Buy. I love it. Previously I had a Premier that was very nice but the sub outputs died on me and I wanted the new one to have HD Radio and USB built-in (as well as AUX). This one fit the bill and it actually has better sound quality than my Premier did. I bet its very similar to yours on the inside. Mine may have more sound and frequency adjustments and whatnot though.
I usually use the aux whenever I'm using the GPS or wanna listen to a podcast. If I'm USBin' it up, the stock Droid speaker is loud enough to use from the dock if I get a call. Although, you could already have the aux plugged in and switch source as soon as you get a call...haven't tried that yet.
I usually end up using AUX. I do think that USB is a bit higher quality, but I find that navigating the music using my touchscreen is easier than the Kenwoods knobs. I also like that when a call comes in, it mutes the music and I just slide to answer. When done it continues playing. USB requires switching sources back and forth which takes some practice to do without looking...