Android SDK: problem with installing.

knockoutpbn

Reaction score
I downloaded the SDK from the site, and i am havint trouble getting it to install. I extract all the files, run the set up exe and a little black screen (looks to be command prompt) pops up for a split second. Cant tell if it says anything at all. Then nothing starts after that. It did this both on my laptop and desktop, which both happen to be running vista. Anyone else know anything? Id really like to start messing with the SDK to see what i can come up with. Maybe something fancy? Who knows:icon_ banana:

andjarnic

Reaction score
First of all, I don't think this forum is the best place for this particular issue. You're better off joining the android forums.

That said, are you a java developer that understands how to install the JDK, an IDE, get plugins working and such? It took me all of about 5 minutes after I had Eclipse running to get the ADT installed and run an app in the emulator. I do so on Linux, but Windows and OSX should not be any harder.

If you are not well versed in Java and it's apis, I'd turn back and go learn Java and understand everything there is to the language, the classpath, installation, and all that good stuff first.

Stigy

Reaction score
The Android SDK is not something you install. If you downloaded the 22MB start pack those are basically just the tools, drivers and basic framework for the Android platform.

The other thing you can do is integrate the SDK into Eclipse, which is something you configure via Eclipse's menus and those instructions are here:
Installing and Updating ADT | Android Developers

Those allow you to use the Android Developer Tools WITHIN Eclipse to right and modify code for Android.